Jacques at the October 2007 Video Games Live's meet and greet event
2 April 1973 |
Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
|Labels||La-La Land Records
Sumthing Else Music Works
Born in Leamington Spa, England, into a musical family, Jacques was interested in composing from an early age. He wrote his first music achievement, a piano duet, at the age of nine. Richard began studying music at Colchester Institute School of Music and Wells Cathedral School, but he got his primary music education at Royal Academy of Music, where was exposed to a number of instruments and was taught to play in various genres, from jazz to rock. In 1994, Jacques graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Music Composition. Two days after his graduation, he was hired as an in-house composer at Sega Europe.
At Sega Europe, Jacques began by doing soundtracks for a number of Sega Saturn games, most notably jazz, eurodance and powerpop-influenced scores for the Sega Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic R. In 2000, he also created the music and interactive radio system for Metropolis Street Racer, and composed an additional hip-hop tune for Jet Set Radio. Jacques's perhaps best known and acclaimed work at Sega came with 2001's Headhunter. Jacques composed it with London Session Orchestra at Abbey Road Studios, scoring dramatic orchestral pieces. The soundtrack was well received, won awards, was historically performed at first Symphonic Game Music Concert at Leipzig and became popular entry at Video Games Live event. Jacques left Sega Europe shortly after Headhunter's release and became freelancer, but contributed to soundtracks of sequels of Headhunter and Jet Set Radio Future, and still composes for titles in Sonic the Hedgehog series. Aside from composing video game music, Richard also writes pieces for commercials and Video Games Live. He also composed some of the music in the BBC TV gameshow series, Don't Scare The Hare, amongst other shows and films.
- Darxide (1995) – with Adam Salkeld
- F1 Challenge (European ver.) (1995) – with Adam Salkeld
- Shinobi X (1996)
- Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition (1996) – with Kenichi Tokoi, Jun Senoue, and Tomonori Sawada
- Sonic 3D Blast (Sega Saturn) (1996)
- Sonic R (1997)
- Jet Set Radio (2000) – "Everybody Jump Around"
- Metropolis Street Racer (2000)
- Headhunter (2001)
- Jet Set Radio Future (2002) – "What About The Future" & "Bokfresh"
- Total Immersion Racing (2002)
- Headhunter: Redemption (2003)
- OutRun 2 (Xbox) (2004) – arrangements
- EyeToy: Play 2 (2004)
- Starship Troopers (2005)
- EyeToy: Play 3 (2005) – with Matt Coldrick
- Pursuit Force (2005)
- Sega Rally 2006 (2006) – "Hand-Breaks" and "TurboTech"
- OutRun 2006 (2006) – arrangements
- Battlestations: Midway (2007)
- Mass Effect (2007) – "The Citadel"
- Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice (2007) – with Jeff Tymoschuk
- The Club (2008) – Single Player themes only
- Conflict: Denied Ops (2008)
- Sega Superstars Tennis (2008)
- Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (2008) – with Steven Sim
- Hasbro Family Game Night (2008)
- You're in the Movies (2008)
- Sonic and the Black Knight (2009) – with Sega Digital Studio, Hikaru Tanimoto, Yusaku Tsuchiya, Howard Drossin, and Tommy Tallarico
- Battlestations: Pacific (2009) – with David Kates
- Alice in Wonderland: An Adventure Beyond the Mirror (2010) – with Wu Songming
- Alice in Wonderland (2010)
- James Bond 007: Blood Stone (2010)
- Fluidity (2010) – with Allister Brimble and Anthony Putson
- Fate of the World (2011)
- Sonic Generations (2011) – with Sega Digital Studio
- LittleBigPlanet: The Muppets Premium Level Kit (2012)
- Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (2012)
- Alice in Wonderland: A New Champion (2013)
- Powerstar Golf (2013)
- Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (2014)
- Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal (2014)
- Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice (2016)
- Lunnabelle – directed by Genna Page and Tanya Ludyga
- One Previous Owner – directed by Giles Greenwood
- Three in One – directed by Mick Pantaleo
- Scorned – directed by Sam Noor
- Genes Reunited information.
- Richard Jacques's MobyGames profile.
- Jacques's VGM Rush profile.
- "Headhunter (PAL Import) – Dreamcast Review at IGN". Dreamcast.ign.com. 7 January 2002. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Richard Jacques.|