Richard James Allen
Richard James Allen (born 1960) is a contemporary Australian poet, dancer and filmmaker. The former Artistic Director of the Poets Union Inc, and founding director of the Australian Poetry Festival, Richard was Co-Artistic Director with Karen Pearlman of That Was Fast (New York City) and Tasdance (Launceston), and now at The Physical TV Company (Sydney).
Richard James Allen has published ten books of poetry, fiction or performance texts, most recently Fixing the Broken Nightingale (2014), The Kamikaze Mind (2006), and Performing the Unnameable: An Anthology of Australian Performance Texts (1999), co-edited with Karen Pearlman. He received the 2005 University of Technology, Sydney Chancellor's Award for Best PhD Thesis. A multi-award-winning film adaptation of his Kenneth Slessor Prize for Poetry-nominated book, Thursday's Fictions (1999), was first broadcast by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation in 2007. This surreal dance fantasy also has a Second Life presence, Thursday's Fictions in Second Life.
- Allen, Richard James (2014). Fixing the broken nightingale. ASM: Macau & Cerberus Press: Markwell, N.S.W., Australia: Flying Island Books. pp. 113 p. ; 15 cm. ISBN 978-99965-42-58-9.
- Allen, Richard James (c. 2006). The kamikaze mind. Blackheath, N.S.W., Australia: Brandl & Schlesinger. pp. 157 p. : ill. ; 18 cm. ISBN 1-876040-71-8.
- Allen, Richard James (c. 1999). Thursday's fictions. Wollongong, N.S.W., Australia: Five Islands Press. pp. v, 120 p. ; 21 cm. ISBN 0-86418-596-0.
- Allen, Richard James; Karen Pearlman (c. 1999). Performing the Unnameable: An Anthology of Australian Performance Texts. Sydney, N.S.W., Australia: Currency Press in association with RealTime. pp. xv, 203 p. : ill. ; 28 cm. ISBN 0-86819-420-4.
- Allen, Richard James; Karen Pearlman (c. 1996). New Life on the 2nd Floor. Launceston, TAS, Australia: Tasdance. pp. 76 p. : ill. ; 22 cm. ISBN 0-9586795-0-9.
- Allen, Richard James (c. 1995). The air dolphin brigade. Brooklyn, N.S.W., Australia, and Launceston, TAS, Australia: Paper Bark Press in association with Tasdance. pp. 88 p. : ill., ports. ; 21 cm. ISBN 0-646-26678-0.
- Allen, Richard James (c. 1995). What to name your baby. Brooklyn, N.S.W., Australia, and Launceston, TAS, Australia.: Paper Bark Press in association with Tasdance. pp. 40 p. : ports. ; 21 cm. ISBN 0-646-23747-0.
- Allen, Richard James (c. 1993). Hope for a man named Jimmie ; &, Grand illusion Joe. Wollongong, N.S.W., Australia: Five Islands Press Associates. pp. 90 p. ; 21 cm. ISBN 1-875604-07-3.
- Allen, Richard James (c. 1989). To the ocean ; &, Scheherazade. Sydney, N.S.W., Australia: Hale & Iremonger. pp. 160 p. ; 20 cm. ISBN 0-86806-396-7.
- Allen, Richard James (c. 1986). The way out at last & other poems. Sydney, N.S.W., Australia: Hale & Iremonger. pp. 111 p. ; 23 cm. ISBN 0-86806-248-0.
- The Physical TV Company
- The Physical TV Channel on YouTube
- Fixing the Broken Nightingale
- The Kamikaze Mind
- Performing The Unnameable: An Anthology of Australian Performance Texts
- Out Of The Labyrinth Of The Mind: Manifesting A Spiritual Art Beyond Dualism (Abstract for Doctorate of Creative Arts)
- Interactive Media Innovation (imi) industry leader interview (April, 2012)
- Andrew Mikkelsen interview on yoga, creativity, philosophy and personal history (21 February, 2012)
- Josef Brown interview on dance film and creativity (30 May, 2011)
- Orion Mitchell interview on dance film and the internet, as part of Dancing Through YouTube (April 26, 2011)
- SPIKE Magazine interview on dance for film and virtual worlds (6 April 2011)
- Transmedia Victoria – Meet transmedia artist: Richard James Allen (20 December, 2010)
- RealTime interview on mixed reality dance film (Issue #99, October–November 2010)
- ABC Radio National interview on writing for Second Life (The Book Show, 10 October 2007)
- RealTime interview on dance film (Issue #80, August–September 2007)
- RealTime interview on dance and poetry (Issue #10, December–January 1995)
- Richard James Allen at the Australian Poetry Library
- Richard James Allen at Australia Dancing, National Library of Australia
- Richard James Allen at the National Film and Sound Archive
- Richard James Allen at the Manuscripts Collection, the State Library of New South Wales
- Richard James Allen at AustLit
- The Physical TV Company Website selected for preservation by Pandora, Australia's Web Archive, at the National Library of Australia
- U: No 04: 26 May – 6 June 2006 – Review by Jaine P Stockler of The Kamikaze Mind
- Jacket (magazine) 33 — July 2007 – "The Exhilaration and Anxiety of Free Fall" – Dr Mark Seton reviews The Kamikaze Mind by Richard James Allen
- Second Life Insider, 18 October 2007 Thursday's Fictions, by Tateru Nino