Kalvar has had a solo exhibition at Maison européenne de la photographie in Paris.
Life and work
Kalvar was born in Brooklyn, New York. A trip to Europe in 1966 with a Pentax camera given him by French fashion photographer Jérôme Ducrot (with whom Kalvar worked in New York as an assistant) inspired him to become a photographer. On his return to New York he worked at Modernage photo lab. Two years later he moved to Paris and joined Agence Vu photography agency.
- Agathe Gaillard Gallery, Paris
- 2007: Terrans, Maison européenne de la photographie, Paris
- 2008: Retrospective, Casal Solleric, Illes Balears, Spain
- 2010: Earthlings: Retrospective, Städtische Galerie Iserlohn, Iserlohn, Denmark
Publications by Kalvar
- Familles en France. France: Viva, 1973.
- L’Usine. France: Colgate Palmolive, 1987, ASIN B004AEYWEC.
- Portrait de Conflans-Sainte-Honorine. France: P.O. Calmann-Lévy, 1993, ISBN 978-2-7021-2163-4.
- Earthlings. Flammarion, 2007, ISBN 978-2-08-030009-6.
Publications with others
- Street Photography Now. London: Thames & Hudson, 2010. ISBN 978-0-500-54393-1. Edited by Sophie Howarth and Stephen McLaren.
- iN-PUBLiC biography
- 2point8 interview, part 1
- Magnum Photos biography
- 2point8 interview, part 2
- "RICHARD KALVAR TERRANS". MEP. Retrieved 24 February 2019.
- "RICHARD KALVAR. RETROSPECTIVA. CASAL SOLLERIC. PALMA DE MALLORCA". Amblart. Retrieved 24 February 2019.
- "Richard Kalvar Earthlings. Retrospective". Iserlohn. Retrieved 2 April 2010.
- "Paris Magnum Exhibit". Ile Saint Louis. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Durón, Maximilíano. "Magnum Photographers from Different Generations Talk About the Fabled Agency's Past, Present, and Future". Art News. Retrieved 23 August 2017.