Richard Barry Kaner
|Alma mater||Brown University A.B. (1980) |
University of Pennsylvania Ph.D (1984)
|Awards||Tolman Award (2009)|
University of California, Berkeley
|Thesis||The electrochemistry of reduced polyacetylene (1984)|
|Doctoral advisor||Alan G. MacDiarmid|
|Other academic advisors||Aaron Wold, Neil Bartlett|
|Doctoral students||Jiaxing Huang, Edward G. Gillan|
This biographical article is written like a résumé. (July 2021)
Richard B. Kaner is an American synthetic inorganic chemist. He is a Distinguished Professor and the Dr. Myung Ki Hong Endowed Chair in Materials Innovation at the University of California, Los Angeles, where he holds a joint appointment in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and the Department of Material Science and Engineering. Kaner conducts research on conductive polymers (polyaniline), superhard materials and carbon compounds, such as fullerenes and graphene.
He has served on the board of directors for California NanoSystems Institute. Kaner serves as Chief Scientific Adviser to Hydrophilix, Nanotech Energy, and Supermetalix, university spin-off companies.
Kaner was an Adjunct Professor at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology in Australia in 2010. He was the Eka-Granules Lecturer at the University of Tasmania, and was a Visiting Professor at the University of Wollongong. He is an Associate Editor of the Materials Research Bulletin.
- American Institute of Chemists Chemical Pioneer Award (2019)
- Royal Society of Chemistry Centenary Prize (2018)
- Materials Research Society Medal (2015)
- Thomson-Reuters Most Highly Cited Author (2014)
- ACS Award in the Chemistry of Materials (2012)
- Southern California Section of the American Chemical Society (SCALACS) Richard C. Tolman Award (2010)
- Fulbright Senior Scholar (2004-2005)
- UCLA Gold Shield Faculty Prize (2002-2004)
- Guggenheim Fellowship (1996)
- Defense Science Study Group Fellowship (1994-95)
- Sloan Research Fellowship (1993-97)
- Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award (1991)
- Packard Fellowship (1989)
- American Chemical Society Exxon Fellowship in Solid State Chemistry (1989)
- American Physical Society Fellow (2020)
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Fellow (2016)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (2015)
- Electrochemical Society Member
- Materials Research Society Fellow (2011)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellow (2000)
- Richard B. Kaner Publications indexed by Google Scholar
- The Synthesis and Application of Graphene, talk in 2018
- Interview with Grant Imahara in 2016
- "Dr. Myung Ki Hong Endowed Chair in Polymer Science – UCLA Physical Sciences". Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "Kaner, Richard B. | UCLA Chemistry and Biochemistry". www.chemistry.ucla.edu. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "Richard Kaner – Welcome to the kaner lab!". Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "UCLA researchers develop new technique to scale up production of graphene micro-supercapacitors". UCLA. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "Kaner, Professor. Richard - RMIT University". 2016-03-04. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "American Institute of Chemists - Chemical Pioneer Award". www.theaic.org. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "Grand Challenges | UCLA researcher Richard Kaner wins Royal Society of Chemistry's 2018 Centenary Award". May 10, 2018. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- Zarling, Patti. "Two Rivers scientist Richard Kaner, now a UCLA professor, wins prestigious chemistry award". Herald Times Reporter. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "Kaner awarded 2015 Materials Research Society Medal". UCLA. November 23, 2015. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "Thomson Reuters' Highly Cited Researchers 2014 | UCLA Chemistry and Biochemistry". www.chemistry.ucla.edu. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "ACS Award in the Chemistry of Materials". American Chemical Society. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "2010-05-11: Tolman Award Dinner honoring Professor Richard B. Kaner". SCALACS. 2010-03-30. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "Kaner, Richard B." The David and Lucile Packard Foundation. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "Gold Shield Faculty Prize Recipients". Academic Senate. 2017-06-28. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "John Simon Guggenheim Foundation | Richard B. Kaner". Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "The ExxonMobil Award Faculty Fellowship in Solid State Chemistry". Division of Inorganic Chemistry. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- Wolpert, Stuart (October 9, 2020). "Chemist elected a 2020 fellow of the American Physical Society". UCLA. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "2016 ACS Fellow | UCLA Chemistry and Biochemistry". www.chemistry.ucla.edu. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- Kisliuk, Bill (February 2, 2015). "Professors Yang, Kaner named to Royal Society of Chemistry". UCLA. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "List of MRS Fellows | Materials science awards". www.mrs.org. Retrieved 2021-07-10.