Richard Katz (politician)
|Member of the California State Assembly|
from the 39th district
December 1, 1980 - November 30, 1996
|Preceded by||J. Robert Hayes|
|Succeeded by||Tony Cárdenas|
|Born||August 16, 1950|
Los Angeles, California
Richard Katz (born August 16, 1950) is a former Democratic politician who served in the California State Assembly representing the San Fernando Valley based 39th assembly district for 16 years from 1980 until 1996 when he was termed out and succeeded by Tony Cardenas. During his time in the Assembly, Assemblyman Katz served as both the Majority and Minority Leader for the Democratic party.
Post Assembly Career
An ally of Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, he was Villaraigosa's public appointee to the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority board and Metrolink board chair. Although he supported City Controller Wendy Greuel's candidacy for mayor in 2013, Katz was appointed to the city planning commission by the successful candidate, Mayor Eric Garcetti.
- "Join California - Richard Katz". joincalifornia.com.
- Our Choices in the April 13 L.A. City Election
- Breaking away? L.A.'s coming vote on independence for the valley
- Zahniser, David (September 30, 2013). "Garcetti puts two major Wendy Greuel supporters on planning panel". Los Angeles Times.
- "Commissioner Biographies". California Coastal Commission. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- Governor's Appointments (PDF). 1, B–C (January 2011 ed.). California Governor's Office. pp. 66–71.
- "California League of Conservation Voters (CLCV) Applauds Appointment of Wendy Mitchell to the California Coastal Commission" (Press release). California League of Conservation Voters. January 1, 2011. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
|| California State Assemblymember, 39th District
|| State Assembly Democratic Leader