13 July 1959 |
East Grinstead, West Sussex, England
Richard Alexander Leman (born 13 July 1959) is a former field hockey player.
He was a member of the Gold Medal winning Great Britain squad in the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul. Four years earlier he won Bronze at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. He also won silver with the England squad at the 1986 Hockey World Cup in London.
In 1984 Leman was awarded UK Hockey Player of the Year. He is a member of the British Olympic Association Executive Board and Chairman of East Grinstead Sports Club Charity. Leman joined the Board of England Hockey in 2004 having served as a vice-president for the previous year. He became President of Great Britain Hockey in 2007.
In 2012 Leman canvassed a number of leading figures in British Olympics in regard to standing against Lord Sebastian Coe for the position of Chairman of the British Olympic Association. Most advised against trying to secure the position given that Lord Coe had recently delivered an exceptional Olympic Games for Britain.
Leman was born in East Grinstead, West Sussex. Between 1973 and 1977, he was educated at Gresham's School, Holt, where he captained the school's first XI hockey team. He has played club hockey for East Grinstead Hockey Club.
In his business career, he has founded several businesses in the recruitment sector and his first company, Olympian Consultancy, was listed as 8th in the Sunday Times Fast Track 100 companies for 1999. He is currently Chairman of Gold Group Recruitment, a technology and engineering recruitment firm working with companies across the globe. In the same year, Leman won the Durlacher Executive of the Year Award, as well as, was runner-up Sussex Businessman of the Year Award.
- "Richard Leman Bio, Stats, and Results - Olympics at Sports-Reference.com". Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Remembering the boys of 86 - Sports Journalists' Association". 17 October 2006. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "UK Hockey Player of the Year Award - Hockey Writers' Club". 27 December 2010. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- Sebastian Coe
- "Hockey: Grinstead look west - Sport - The Independent". 20 March 1993. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Company Profile". The Sunday Times Fast Track 100. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- "Company Profile". Gold Group. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "Big Boost for the Bus Boss". The Argus. 11 November 1999. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
|This article about a field hockey Olympic medallist of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to an English field hockey figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|