Richard M. Davidson
|Richard M. Davidson|
|Occupation||Protestant, Seventh-day Adventist Theologian|
|Part of a series on|
Seventh-day Adventist portal
Richard M. Davidson is an Old Testament scholar and Seventh-day Adventist. He has authored dozens of articles for theological journals. As of 2009, he is the chair of the Old Testament department at Andrews University, and the J. N. Andrews Professor of Old Testament Exegesis.
He is married to JoAnn Davidson.
Flame of Yahweh
Davidson published Flame of Yahweh: A Theology of Sexuality in the Old Testament in 2007, apparently his magnum opus. The title is derived from the Bible verse Song of Song of Solomon 8:6c. He has been studying the topic of sexuality since the early 1980s.
The scope is very board, covering a broad range of topics, including an exhaustive study of the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament), and comparing with perspectives from surrounding cultures of the time (the Ancient Near East).
According to one reviewer, "From the structural point of view, the book forms a literary envelope. Davidson begins with the theology of sexuality depicted in the narrative of the Garden of Eden and closes the book with the restoration of that theology in the book of Song of Solomon. There we again find a couple deeply in love in the setting of a garden."
Two reviews appear in Andrews University Seminary Studies in 2008; by David Instone-Brewer and Andre Claris Lombart. Both are generally positive, as Davidson affirms in a response. Ángel Rodríguez wrote, "This book is highly recommended to professors, pastors, family ministries personnel, and those interested in human sexuality." He does question evidence that Solomon's bride was a committed believer in the Lord. Also, he did not see any of discussion of circumcision, which arguably had sexual overtones. Grenville Kent writes "Davidson is to be commended for an OT biblical theology of sexuality which is fearless, deep and comprehensive – almost encyclopaedic."
Other reviewers include Anselm C. Hagedorn, C. Amos, J. Harold Ellens, Yael Klangswisan, Dale Launderville, Harvey E. Solganick, Nicholas T. Batzig, Jennifer L. Koosed, Heather Macumber, and James D. Lorenz. Additional reviews appear on the publisher's webpage.
- Seventh-day Adventist Church
- Seventh-day Adventist theology
- Seventh-day Adventist eschatology
- History of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
- 28 fundamental beliefs
- Questions on Doctrine
- Teachings of Ellen White#End times
- Inspiration of Ellen White
- Prophecy in the Seventh-day Adventist Church
- Investigative judgment
- The Pillars of Adventism
- Second Advent
- Baptism by Immersion
- Conditional Immortality
- Three Angels' Messages
- End times
- Sabbath in Seventh-day Adventism
- Inspiration of Ellen White
- Ellen G. White
- Adventist Review
- Seventh-day Adventist Church Pioneers
- Seventh-day Adventist worship
- Brief biography of JoAnn Davidson provided here
- "Adventist Theological Society" in Seventh-day Adventist Encyclopedia vol. 1, p31–32
- Flame of Yahweh: A Theology of Sexuality in the Old Testament (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 2007); publishers page)
- Cited by Rodríguez (see below). The New American Standard Bible has a similar rendering, "flame of the Lord"
- Ángel Rodríguez, Review, Ministry 80 (July 2008), p28–29
- David Instone-Brewer, Andrews University Seminary Studies 46:2 (Autumn 2008), p245–250
- Andre Claris Lombart, Andrews University Seminary Studies 46:2 (Autumn 2008), p251–255
- Richard Davidson, "Response to Review Articles of Flame of Yahweh", Andrews University Seminary Studies 47:1 (Spring 2009), p53–59
- Grenville Kent, Journal of Asia Adventist Seminary 11:1 (2008), p84–87; archives - presently unavailable online
- Anselm C. Hagedorn, Vetus Testamentum 59:1 (2009), p163
- C. Amos, Journal for the Study of the Old Testament 32:5 (June 2008), p157–158
- J. Harold Ellens [ed. Rodney L. Bassett], Journal of Psychology and Christianity 27:2 (Summer 2008), p178–179
- Yael Klangswisan, Colloquium 40:1 (May 2008), p102–103
- Dale Launderville, Catholic Biblical Quarterly 70:2 (April 2008), p338–339
- Harvey E. Solganick, Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 51:1 (March 2008), p108–111
- Nicholas T. Batzig, Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology 26:1 (Spring 2008), p88–90
- Jennifer L. Koosed, Hebrew Studies 49 (2008), p333–336
- Heather Macumber, Journal of Hebrew Scriptures 7 (2007)
- James D. Lorenz, Spectrum 36 (Winter 2008), p79–80