Richard M. Lerner
Richard M. Lerner (born February 23, 1946, in Brooklyn, New York City) is professor of psychology at Tufts University, occupying the Bergstrom Chair in Applied Developmental Science. Also at Tufts, he directs the Institute for Applied Research in Youth Development.
Lerner has authored more than 650 scholarly publications, including more than 75 authored or edited books, and was founding editor of the Journal of Research on Adolescence and of Applied Developmental Science, the latter of which he continues to edit.
Lerner's recent honors include:
American Psychological Association (Division 1) Ernest R. Hilgard Lifetime Achievement Award for Distinguished Career Contributions to General Psychology, 2015
American Psychological Association Gold Medal for Life Achievement in the Application of Psychology, 2014
American Psychological Associations (Division 7) Urie Bronfenbrenner Award for Lifetime Contribution to Developmental Psychology in the Service of Science and Society, 2013
John P. Hill Memorial Award for Life-Time Outstanding Work, the Society for Research on Adolescence, 2010
- Lerner, Richard M. Concepts and Theories of Human Development. 3rd ed. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2002.
- Silbereisen, R. K. and Richard M. Lerner (eds.). Approaches to Positive Youth Development. Los Angeles: Sage, 2007.
- Damon, William and Richard M. Lerner. Child and Adolescent Development: An Advanced Course. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2008.
- Lerner, Richard M. and Laurence Steinberg (eds.) Handbook of Adolescent Psychology. 3rd ed. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2009.
- Lerner, Richard M., Willis F. Overton, Michael E. Lamb, and Alexandra Freund (eds.). The Handbook of Life-Span Development. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2010.
- Lerner, Richard M., Jacqueline V. Lerner, and Janette B. Benson. Positive Youth Development. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2011.
- Molenaar, Peter C. M., Richard M. Lerner, and Karl M. Newell (eds.). Handbook of Developmental Systems Theory and Methodology. Guilford, 2014.
- Lerner, Richard M. and Willis F. Overton (eds.). Handbook of Child Psychology and Developmental Science. 4 vols. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2015.
- Lerner, Richard M. and Jasna Jovanovic. Cognitive and Moral Development: Academic Achievement in Adolescence. Florence: Taylor and Francis, 2016.
- Lerner full CV (accessed November 2, 2011)
- Lerner profile at Institute for Applied Research in Youth Development (accessed October 11, 2016)