Madden at the 2013 San Diego Comic-Con International
18 June 1986 |
Elderslie, Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK
|Alma mater||Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Partner(s)||Jenna Coleman (2012–present)|
Madden was born in Elderslie, Renfrewshire, just outside the town of Paisley and the city of Glasgow, where he was brought up, with older and younger sisters. His mother, Pat, is a classroom assistant, and his father, Richard, is in the fire brigade.
At the age of 11, Madden joined Paisley Arts Centre's youth theatre programme to help overcome his shyness. He was soon cast as young Andy in the film adaptation of Iain Banks's Complicity, followed by him being cast in a lead role as Sebastian in the television series Barmy Aunt Boomerang, for which he filmed six episodes that aired from 1999 until 2000. He graduated from the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama (RSAMD) in 2007.
While at RSAMD he worked with the Arches and Glasgow Repertory Company, followed by Franz Xaver Kroetz's play Tom Fool at the Citizens' Theatre, which was so well received that it transferred to London, where Madden was spotted by a team from the Globe Theatre. In his final year with RSAMD, he was cast as Romeo in a production of Romeo and Juliet at the Globe Theatre which, after a run in London, toured in open-air stages during the summer of 2007, being the Globe's first tour. He also played Callum McGregor in the stage production of Malorie Blackman's Noughts and Crosses in 2008.
He later gained the lead role of Dean McKenzie in the 2009 BBC series Hope Springs, followed by his roles as Ripley in the 2010 film Chatroom, and as Theatre of Hate singer Kirk Brandon in the 2010 film Worried About The Boy. From 2011 to 2013, he starred as Robb Stark in the HBO series Game of Thrones, based upon George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series of novels, the Channel 4 series Sirens, and in the BBC series Birdsong.
Between 12 May and 13 August 2016 Richard Madden will again play on stage the role of Romeo in Romeo and Juliet at the West End, where he will be reunited with his Cinderella costar Lily James as Juliet, and director Kenneth Branagh.
Of Madden's performance as Mark McNulty in the National Theatre of Scotland's production of Be Near Me, Warwick Thompson of Bloomberg noted his performance to be "especially good". Susan Mansfield of The Scotsman reported that Madden has caught the eye of critics for his work and reported additional positive reviews of his work by The Daily Telegraph and The Observer.
In 2010, The Scotsman touted Madden as "one of the hottest young acting talents in the business". They also noted that Madden is "tipped for mainstream glory this year" due to his upcoming roles in the film Chatroom and TV series Game of Thrones". He won Most Stylish Male at the Scottish Style Awards in October 2009 and was also named in Esquire's Hottest Stars for 2010.
|2015||Group B||Shane Hunter||Short Film|
|2016||Bastille Day||Michael Mason|
|1999–2000||Barmy Aunt Boomerang||Sebastian Simpkins||20 episodes|
|2009||Hope Springs||Dean McKenzie||8 episodes|
|2010||Worried About The Boy||Kirk Brandon||TV film|
|2011–2013||Game of Thrones||Robb Stark||22 episodes
Screen International Award for Star of Tomorrow (2011)
Nominated – Scream Award for Best Ensemble (2011)
Nominated – Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series (2011, 2013)
|2011||Sirens||Ashley Greenwick||6 episodes|
|2012||Birdsong||Captain Michael Weir||2 episodes|
|2014||Klondike||Bill Haskell||3 episodes|
|2015||Lady Chatterley's Lover||Oliver Mellors||TV film|
|2016||Medici: Masters Of Florence||Cosimo de' Medici||8 episodes|
|2013||Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate||Trevor Belmont / Alucard||Voice|
|2014||Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2||Alucard|
- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3002995/Richard-Madden-displays-affection-girlfriend-Jenna-Coleman.html. Missing or empty
- Mansfield, Susan (21 March 2009). "Up and Coming: Richard Madden – Young man on a role". The Scotsman. thescotsman.scotsman.com. Retrieved 13 July 2010.
- Cooper, Neil (12 June 2007). "Less room for doom in the great outdoors". Herald Scotland. heraldscotland.com. Retrieved 13 July 2010.
- Nathanson, Hannah (1 April 2011). "Game of Thrones is good news for Brit stars". London Evening Standard. Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- "Richard Madden Biography". Tvguide.com. 28 November 2012. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- Taylor, Paul (5 September 2007). "Romeo and Juliet, Dulwich Park, London". The Independent. independent.co.uk. Retrieved 13 July 2010.
- Elkin, Susan (16 July 2007). "review: Romeo and Juliet". The Stage. thestage.co.uk. Retrieved 13 July 2010.
- Felperin, Leslie (14 May 2010). "review: Chatroom". Variety. variety.com. Retrieved 13 July 2010.
- Cooke, Rachel (21 May 2010). "Worried About the Boy". New Statesman. newstatesman.com. Retrieved 13 July 2010.
- Hibberd, James (20 August 2009). "HBO appoints subjects to 'Thrones'". Hollywood Reporter. hollywoodreporter.com. Archived from the original on 10 January 2010. Retrieved 13 July 2010.
- "HBO Greenlights Northern Ireland Epic 'Game of Thrones'". IFTN. iftn.ie. 4 March 2010. Retrieved 13 July 2010.
- "Scotland's most eligible men – #15: Richard Madden, 23, actor". The Scotsman. living.scotsman.com. 16 February 2010. Retrieved 13 July 2010.
- Schillaci, Sophie (8 May 2013). "Disney Casts 'Game of Thrones' Actor as 'Cinderella's' Prince". The Hollywood Reporter
- "How Did You Get Your SAG-AFTRA Card?" TV Guide. 13 January 2014. p. 10.
- "About Romeo and Juliet".
- Thompson, Warwick (29 January 2009). "Richard Dreyfuss, Sporting Earpiece, Triumphs in New Play". Bloomberg. bloomberg.com. Retrieved 13 July 2010.
- "Richard Madden | Features | Screen". Screendaily.com. 30 June 2011. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- "Richard Madden Set to Join Idris Elba for 'Bastille Day'". BBC America. image caption. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Curt Wagner (19 April 2012). "Richard Madden Jenna-Louise Coleman dating Game of Thrones Doctor Who TV – RedEye Chicago". RedEye. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Richard Madden.|