|Born||February 7, 1951|
Richard "Dick" Manning is an environmental author and journalist, with particular interest in the history and future of the American prairie, agriculture and poverty. He writes frequently about trauma and poverty for the National Native Children's Trauma Center based at the University of Montana, where he is a senior research associate. He is the author of eight books, and his articles have been published in Harper's Magazine, The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, Audubon and The Bloomsbury Review.
Manning worked as a journalist, reporter and editor for more than 30 years, including four years at the Missoulian. In 1995 he was the recipient of a John S. Knight Fellowship from Stanford University. He is a three-time winner of the Seattle Times C.B. Blethen Award for Investigative Journalism, and has also won the Audubon Society Journalism Award and the inaugural Richard J. Margolis Award in 1992.
- Last Stand (1991) ISBN 978-0-87905-389-5
- A Good House (1994) ISBN 978-0-14-023407-7
- Grassland (1997) ISBN 978-0-14-023388-9
- One Round River (1998) ISBN 978-0-8050-4792-9
- Food's Frontier (2001) ISBN 978-0-520-23263-1
- Inside Passage (2001) ISBN 978-1-55963-655-1
- Against The Grain: How Agriculture Has Hijacked Civilization (2004) ISBN 978-0-86547-622-6
- Rewilding the West: Restoration in a Prairie Landscape (2009) ISBN 978-0-520-25658-3
- It Runs in the Family (2013) ISBN 978-0-312-62030-1
- Go Wild: Free Your Body and Mind from the Afflictions of Civilization" (2014) ISBN 978-0-312-62030-1
- "Mountains, Elk and Sprawl" (2002), for Common Dreams
- "Sprawl Across A Suffering Land" (2003), for CounterPunch
- "The Oil We Eat" (2004) for Harper's Magazine
- "Bakken Business: The price of North Dakota's fracking boom" (2013) for Harper's Magazine
- "The Trouble With Iowa: Corn, corruption and the presidential caucuses" (2016) for Harper's Magazine
- The Atlantic Monthly, "Agriculture and Civilization" with Richard Manning
- Fall and Winter: a survival guide for the 21st century. (2013) Documentary film.
- Mountains, Elk, and Sprawl Archived July 13, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "Richard Manning". Penguin Random House. Retrieved 2015-08-20.
- Austin College. Sherman, Texas Archived September 14, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- "Meet the Fellows | JSK | Knight Fellowships Class of 1995". knight.stanford.edu. Retrieved 2015-08-20.
- 1992 - Richard Manning Archived June 26, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- Manning, R. (2000). Food's Frontier: The Next Green Revolution. University of California Press. ISBN 9780520232631. Retrieved 2014-10-12.
- Manning, R. (2000). Inside Passage: A Journey Beyond Borders. Island Press. ISBN 9781597268813. Retrieved 2014-10-12.
- "Richard Manning: A Conservatism That Once Conserved". Counterpunch. Retrieved 2015-08-20.
- Richard Manning. "The oil we eat: Following the food chain back to Iraq". Harper's Magazine. Retrieved 2015-08-20.
- Richard Manning. "Bakken Business: The price of North Dakota's fracking boom". Harper's Magazine. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- Richard Manning. "The Trouble with Iowa: Corn corruption and the presidential caucuses". Harper's Magazine. Retrieved 2016-05-19.