Richard Miller (psychologist)
|Richard C. Miller, Ph.D.|
|Known for||nondual yoga research|
|Profession||clinical psychologist; author|
|Institutions||International Association of Yoga Therapists
Integrative Restoration Institute
Institute for Spirituality and Psychology
Marin School of Yoga
Richard C. Miller, Ph.D. (born 1948) is a clinical psychologist, author, researcher and yogic scholar. He is the founding president of the Integrative Restoration Institute (IRI), co-founder of The International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT) and founding editor of the professional Journal of IAYT. He is also a founding member and past president of the Institute for Spirituality and Psychology, Senior Advisor to the Baumann Institute, and was the founding president of the 501(c)(3) nonprofit Marin School of Yoga.
For over 40 years, Miller's primary interests have included integrating nondual wisdom teachings of Yoga, Tantra, Advaita, Taoism, and Buddhism with Western psychology. In addition to his research and writing projects, Miller lectures and leads trainings and retreats internationally. Among his mentors, he credits T.K.V. Desikachar and Jean Klein.
Miller worked with Walter Reed Army Medical Center and the United States Department of Defense studying the efficacy of iRest Yoga Nidra.[not in citation given (See discussion.)] The iRest protocol was used with soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).[not in citation given] Based on this work, Eric Schoomaker, Surgeon General of the United States Army endorsed Yoga Nidra as a complimentary alternative medicine (CAM) for chronic pain in 2010. Continuing studies are being conducted with the use of the iRest Yoga Nidra protocol as a treatment for PTSD and related symptoms.
Miller and his organization have iRest programs in the military (active duty and veterans), homeless shelters, prisons, hospices, senior facilities, universities, chemical dependency clinics, Multiple Sclerosis and cancer outpatient clinics, as well as yoga and meditation studios.
- Miller, Richard. Yoga Nidra: A Meditative Practice for Deep Relaxation and Healing, Sounds True, 2005 and 2010. ISBN 978-1-59179-379-3
- Gomukasana, in American Yoga, Barnes & Noble, 2003. ISBN 978-0-7607-4558-8
- The Search for Oneness, in Will Yoga and Meditation Really Change My Life? Storey Publishing, 2004. ISBN 978-1-58017-509-8
- Welcoming All That Is: Yoga Nidra and the Play of Opposites in Psychotherapy, in The Sacred Mirror: NondualWisdom & Psychotherapy, Paragon, 2003. Prendergast, Fenner & Krystal (ed.). ISBN 978-1-55778-824-5
- Opening To Empathy, UMI, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1990
- The Theory and Practice of Yoga Nidra, Anahata Press, Mill Valley, 1985
- Langhana and Brhmana, The Institute of Yoga Teacher Education, San Francisco, 1980
- The Book of Internal Exercises, with Stephan Chang, Strawberry Hill Press, San Francisco, 1978
- Journal articles
- "The Power of Mudra", Yoga Journal, Sept/Oct 1996
- "Beginner’s Yoga Column", Yoga Journal, 1995
- "The Breath of Life", Yoga Journal, May/June 1994
- "Longing For Liberation", Journal of IAYT, Vol. 4, 1993
- "The Therapeutic Application of Yoga on Sciatica: A Case Study", Journal of IAYT, Vol. 3, 1992
- "Psychophysiology of Respiration: Western and Eastern Perspectives", Journal of IAYT, Vol. II, 1991
- "Working With The Breath", Yoga Journal, September 1989
- "Suffering According to the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali", Yoga Journal, July 1986
- "Breath and Movement", Yoga Journal, July 1984
- "Yoga and The Blind", Yoga Journal, January 1978
- Audio presentations
- Sounds of Silence: Chants to the Divine, 2010
- Resting In Stillness: The Practice of Integrative Restoration – iRest, 2009
- The Final Teachings: Awakening to Your True Nature: Healing and Awakening through the meditative practices of Integrative Restoration iRest Yoga Nidra, 2009
- Your Path, Buddha’s Path; Healing and Awakening through the meditative practices of Integrative Restoration iRest Yoga Nidra, 2009
- The Principles and Practice of Ujjayi Pranayama, Audiocassette Tape Set, Anahata Press, 1999
- The Principles and Practice of Yoga Nidra, Audiocassette Tape Set, Anahata Press, 1999
- Non-Dual Meditation, Audiocassette Tape, Anahata Press, 1998
- Pranayama, Breath of Life, Audiocassette Tape Set, Anahata Press, 1998
- The Yoga Sutra of Patanjali, Audiocassette Tape Set, Anahata Press, 1998
- "Learn about IAYT". Iayt.org. Retrieved 2016-01-20.
- "Staff | Integrative Restoration (iRest)". Irest.us. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- (PDF) https://web.archive.org/web/20100528072610/http://www.foh.dhhs.gov/eapnews/uscg/winter2010/LetsTalk.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 28, 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-22. Missing or empty
- (PDF) https://web.archive.org/web/20110719024228/http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/idc/groups/public/documents/afms/ctb_128487.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 19, 2011. Retrieved 2010-12-22. Missing or empty
- Previous post Next post (2008-05-06). "Walter Reed Using Yoga to Fight PTSD | Danger Room". Wired.com. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- http://nccih.nih.gov/news/newsletter/2010_september/militarycare.htm[dead link]
- Pollack, Neal. "Yoga News & Trends - Warriors at Peace". Yoga Journal. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- Kersten, Denise. "Yoga Holistic Healing - Healing Life's Traumas". Yoga Journal. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- (PDF) http://www.irest.us/sites/default/files/Boise_Study.pdf. Retrieved 2010-12-22. Missing or empty