at the 2014 National Book Festival
|Born||November 27, 1936|
|Alma mater||Williams College;
University of Minnesota Law School
|Notable awards||Vincent Scully Prize|
Richard Moe (born 1936) is an American lawyer from Duluth, Minnesota. Following his graduation from Williams College and the University of Minnesota Law School, Moe went on to a distinguished career in government, law, and historic preservation. He served as Chief of Staff to the Vice President of the United States during Walter Mondale's term, was a partner at the law firm Davis Polk & Wardwell, and served as President of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Presidency of the National Trust for Historic Preservation
Moe led the National Trust for Historic Preservation for over sixteen years (1993–2009), and succeeded at expanding its budget despite funding reductions from Congress. He battled Tom DeLay and the Disney Corporation, among others, in his quest to save America's leading historical sites, such as Manassas battlefield. Moe also guided the trust in its major effort to preserve historic structures and sites in New Orleans, Louisiana following Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
In 2007, Moe was awarded the Vincent Scully Prize by the National Building Museum in recognition of his contributions to the built environment. That same year he received the Theodore Roosevelt-Woodrow Wilson Award from the American Historical Association.
- Last Full Measure. Minnesota Historical Society Press. 1993. ISBN 978-0-87351-739-3.
- Richard Moe, Carter Wilkie, Changing Places: Rebuilding Community in the Age of Sprawl, Henry Holt and Company, 1999, ISBN 9780805061840
- Roosevelt's Second Act: The Election of 1940 and the Politics of War. Oxford University Press, USA. 12 August 2013. pp. 6–. ISBN 978-0-19-998192-2.
- Richard Moe, president of National Trust for Historic Preservation, to retire - washingtonpost.com
- President Richard Moe's Biography
- Richard Moe is Leaving the National Trust - Looking Around - TIME.com
- National Building Museum, "Vincent Scully Prize." http://www.nbm.org/support-us/awards_honors/scully-prize/
- Interview With President of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Richard Moe - News & Features (washingtonian.com)