Morant was born in Shipston-on-Stour, Warwickshire. His father was the actor Philip Morant (1909–1993). He was also a nephew of actors Bill and Linden Travers, and a cousin of actress Penelope Wilton. He enjoyed a long television and theatre career, first creating an impression as the bully Harry Flashman in a BBC adaptation of the Thomas Hughes novel, Tom Brown's Schooldays (1971), and followed this up with a regular role as Dr Dwight Enys in the popular BBC series of Poldark (1975).
He played Robespierre in The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982), and he later played Mervyn Bunter, the valet of Lord Peter Wimsey, in the BBC's productions of Strong Poison, Have His Carcase and Gaudy Night (all based on Dorothy Sayers's original novels). In 1988 he played Theodore Dyke Acland in the serial Jack the Ripper.
His stage appearances included a starring role in Noël Coward's Private Lives at the Oxford Playhouse in 1984. The following year he co-starred with Stephanie Beacham and Pam Ferris in ITV's rag-trade soap drama, Connie. He also did voice-over, radio, and audio book work including voicing books by Julian Barnes and Julian Fellowes.
His first wife was the actress Melissa Fairbanks, a daughter of the actor Douglas Fairbanks Jr., with whom he had a son and daughter. After that marriage ended he married Valerie Buchanan, with whom he had another son and daughter.
He had a sideline as a dealer in Asian carpets and textiles, including running his own gallery in Notting Hill. In 2005 he became the sole owner of an established company specialising in carpets and fine textiles, headquartered in Notting Hill, London. After suffering a short illness, Morant died suddenly of an aneurismon 9 November 2011.
- Battle of Britain (1969) - Replacement Pilot - Red Section 'Red 2' (uncredited)
- Zeppelin (1971) - Billy Chisholm (uncredited)
- Mahler (1974) - Max
- Hijack! (1975) - Colin
- The Merchant of Venice (1980)
- On the Third Day (1983) - Jeremy Bolt
- The Company of Wolves (1984) - Wealthy Groom
- The Second Victory (1987) - Capt. Johnson
- Scandal (1989) - D'Lazlo
- Janice Beard (1999) - Boss
- Day Night Day Night (2006) - Flirt
- Philip Morant on the IMDB.
- "Richard Morant". The Telegraph. 30 November 2011.
- Richard Morant Commissioned Carpets and Design
- Obituary in 'The Guardian' newspaper, 14.December 2011
- "Richmond actor Richard Morant dies, aged 66 (From This Is Local London)". Thisislocallondon.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-11-20.