|Full name||Richard David Myler|
21 May 1990 |
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||13 st 10 lb (87 kg) |
As of 25 March 2016
Richie Myler (born 21 May 1990) is an English professional rugby league footballer for Catalans Dragons of Super League. An England national representative scrum half back, he previously played for Warrington and Salford.
Myler signed for Salford from Widnes on a three-year deal in 2008 and contributed to Salford winning the National League One title, scoring 25 tries in 32 appearances, and winning numerous awards as well as the Co-Operative Player of the Year award. On 14 February 2009 Myler made his Super League début against Crusaders, scoring a try in a Salford victory.
In 2009, he signed a four-year contract with Warrington worth around £200,000, making him the most expensive teenage signing in Rugby League history. Myler was offered a new contract which allegedly would have made him the highest paid player in the history of Widnes. According to agent Martin Offiah he rejected the deal, instead favouring a four-year deal with Warrington.
In 2015, he declared he was interested in playing the NRL the next year as he wanted a new challenge. Manly were rumoured to want Myler after the departure of halves pairing Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans. However, on 10 July 2015, it was confirmed that Myler would stay in the Super League, signing a two-year deal with Catalans Dragons from 2016.
He was named in the England training squad for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup. He was named in the England team to face Wales at the Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster prior to England's departure for the 2008 Rugby League World Cup. He made his England début in the victory over Wales on 10 October 2008.
Myler was not called up to the England RL side for the Four Nations in 2011, however he was selected in the England Knights where he put in two man of the match performances but was still not called up.
In March 2012 Myler became engaged to then Blue Peter presenter Helen Skelton. They married in December 2013, and Skelton gave birth to their first child, a boy named Ernie, on 19 June 2015.
- "Our England our Team England rugby league the official website". web page. The Rugby Football League Limited. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- "Myler Battle". Sunday Mirror. London: Trinity Mirror. 19 April 2009.
- Murphy, Connor (2009-09-07). "Smith excited to work with new boys". Warrington Guardian. Retrieved 2011-08-21.
- "Richie Myler rejects Salford mega deal". The Mirror.com. 2009-06-23. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- "England halfback Richie Myler keen for NRL switch next season". The Sydney Morning Herald. 2015-04-12. Retrieved 2015-08-09.
- "Manly Sea Eagles in market for Super League international halfback Richie Myler". Fox Sports. 2015-07-06. Retrieved 2015-08-09.
- "Warrington half-back Richie Myler to join Catalans Dragons in 2016". Sky Sports. 2015-07-10. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Myler gets England call". England Rugby League. 2008-09-29. Retrieved 2008-10-03.
- "Gleeson to lead new-look England". BBC. 2008-10-09. Retrieved 2008-10-10.
- "England warm up in style". Sky Sports. 2008-10-10. Retrieved 2008-10-11.
- "France 12-66 England:Richie Myler stars as Lions romp to victory". The Mirror.com. 2009-06-14. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- White, Steve (2012-03-13). ""I am a very lucky lady!": Helen Skelton's delight at getting engaged". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 2012-03-17.
- Watts, Halina (22 December 2013). "BT Sport beauty Helen Skelton ties the knot with rugby league star Richie Myler". Mirror TV. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "Former Blue Peter presenter Helen Skelton welcomes baby boy". Digital Spy. 21 June 2015. Retrieved 22 June 2015.