|Richard N. Zare|
November 19, 1939 |
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
|Alma mater||Harvard University B.A (1961)
Harvard University Ph.D (1964)
|Doctoral advisor||Dudley Herschbach|
|Doctoral students||Renato Zenobi|
Richard Neil Zare (born November 19, 1939) is a Professor of Chemistry at Stanford University (USA). His professional specialty is physical chemistry. Throughout his career, Zare has made a considerable impact on the field of physical chemistry. He has mentored over 150 PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
Zare is well known for his research in laser chemistry, resulting in a greater understanding of chemical reactions at the molecular level. He has also written a widely used textbook on the topic of angular momentum in quantum systems. He is a member of the editorial advisory boards of several scientific publications, among them Chemistry World, Angewandte Chemie, Central European Journal of Chemistry, "Journal of Separation Sciences" and the "Chinese Journal of Chromatography".  
Zare is the author of various academic papers involving the research of the spectroscopy of chemical compounds.
Zare has been involved in astrobiology.  He is co-author of a paper forwarding the hypothesis that a meteorite from Mars, ALH84001, contained traces of Martian life. Other researchers have questioned these findings and they remain controversial.
Zare has been involved in public speaking in his home area of Silicon Valley and around the world.
Awards and Fellowships
- 1974 - Fresenius Award;
- 1976 - Member, National Academy of Sciences;
- 1976 - Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences;
- 1999 - Foreign Member of the Royal Society of London;
- 1979 - Michael Polanyi Medal;
- 1981 - Earle K. Plyler Prize;
- 1983 - Spectroscopy Society of Pittsburgh Award;
- 1983 - National Medal of Science
- 1985 - Irving Langmuir Award in Chemical Physics;
- 1986 - Michelson-Morley Award;
- 1990 - Kirkwood Medal;
- 1990 - Willard Gibbs Medal;
- 1991 - Peter Debye Award;
- 1991 - National Academy of Sciences Award in Chemical Sciences;
- 1991 - Member, American Philosophical Society;
- 1993 - Dannie-Heineman Preis;
- 1993 - The Harvey Prize;
- 1995 - ACS Division of Analytical Chemistry Award in Chemical Instrumentation;
- 1996 - The Bing Fellowship Award;
- 1997 - California Scientist of the Year Award;
- 1998 - ACS Award in Analytical Chemistry;
- 1999 - E. Bright Wilson Award in Spectroscopy;
- 1999 - Welch Award in Chemistry;
- 1999 - Foreign Member of the Royal Society of London;
- 2000 - Arthur L. Schawlow Prize in Laser Science;
- 2000 - Nobel Laureate Signature Award for Graduate Education;
- 2001 - Charles Lathrop Parsons Award;
- 2001 - Faraday Medal, Royal Society of Chemistry;
- 2003 - Laurance and Naomi Carpenter Hoagland Prize;
- 2004 - Foreign member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences;
- 2004 - Foreign member Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Beijing, P.R.C.;
- 2004 - James Flack Norris Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Teaching of Chemistry, Northeastern Section of the American Chemical Society;
- 2004 - The ACS (New York Section) Nichols Medal;
- 2005 - Wolf Prize in Chemistry;
- 2005 - named Howard Hughes Medical Institute Professor;
- 2009 - F.A. Cotton Medal for Excellence in Chemical Research of the American Chemical Society
- 2009 - BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Award in Basic Science (co-winner with Michael Fisher)
- 2010 - Priestley Medal;
- 2011 - King Faisal International Prize.
- 2012- Recipient of the Reed M. Izatt and James J. Christensen Lectureship.
- "Hadamard Transform Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry: More Signal, More of the Time," F. M. Fernández, J. R. Kimmel, and R. N. Zare, Angewandte Chemie,42, 30-35 (2003).
- "Chemical Cytometry on a Picoliter-Scale Integrated Microfluidic Chip," H. Wu, A. R. Wheeler and R. N. Zare, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. (USA) 101, 12809-12813 (2004).
- "Laser Control of Chemical Reactions," R. N. Zare, Science, 279, 1875-1879 (1998).
- "Anatomy of Elementary Chemical Reactions," A. J. Alexander and R. N. Zare, J. Chem. Ed.,75, 1105-1118 (1998).
- "Observation and Interpretation of a Time-Delayed Mechanism in the Hydrogen Exchange Reaction," S. C. Althorpe, F. Fernández-Alonso, B. D. Bean, J. D. Ayers, A. E. Pomerantz, R. N. Zare, and E. Wrede, Nature 416, 67-70 (2002).
- Spectral Atlas of Nitrogen Dioxide 5530 to 6480 Angstrom (with Donald K. Hsu, David L. Monts) (1978) ISBN 0-12-357950-3
- Angular Momentum: Understanding Spatial Aspects in Chemistry and Physics (1988) ISBN 0-471-85892-7
- Laser Experiments for Beginners (with Bertrand H. Spencer, Dwitght S. Springer) (1995) ISBN 0-935702-36-9
- Angular Momentum: Understanding Spatial Aspects in Chemistry and Physics and Companion to Angular Momentum (with Valeria D. Kleiman, Hongkun Park, and Robert J. Gordon) (1998) ISBN 0-471-24478-3
- Annual Review of Analytical Chemistry, Volume 1 (with Edward S. Yeung) (2008) ISBN 0-8243-4401-4
- A Companion to Angular Momentum (with Valeria D. Kleiman, Hongkun Park, Robert J. Gordon) (2009) ISBN 0-471-19249-X
- List of PhDs and Postdocs studied under Professor Richard Zare
- Richard N. Zare, Stanford University 2005, doi:10.1039/b504927j
- A Quest for Fun (Profile of Richard Zare) from November 1, 2007 issue of Analytical Chemistry doi:10.1021/ac071983m
- Radicals shake up molecules in a tug o' war 2008-07-03
- Introducing Dr. Richard Zare's Lecture: Life On Mars 1996-08-08
- NASA Astrobiology projects and publications
- McKay, D. S.; Gibson, E. K.; ThomasKeprta, K. L.; Vali, H.; Romanek, C. S.; Clemett, S. J.; Chillier, X. D. F.; Maechling, C. R.; Zare, R. N. et al. (1996). "Search for past life on Mars: Possible relic biogenic activity in Martian meteorite ALH84001". Science 273 (5277): 924–930. Bibcode:1996Sci...273..924M. doi:10.1126/science.273.5277.924. PMID 8688069.
- Sex, Lies and Title IX, Silicon Valley Leaders Symposium, 2007-10-11
- Prof. Richard Zare wins Wolf Prize 2005-01-31
- Richard Zare named Howard Hughes Medical Institute Professor 2006-04-04
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute profile
- Zare Named Priestley Medalist 2009-06-10
- King Faisal International Prize