Richard P. Lifton
Richard P. Lifton
|11th President of Rockefeller University|
|Assumed office |
September 1, 2016
|Preceded by||Marc Tessier-Lavigne|
|Alma mater||Dartmouth College, Stanford University|
|Awards||Wiley Prize in Biomedical Sciences (2008), Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences (2014)|
|Thesis||The Organization and expression of the Drosophila melanogaster histone genes and interspersed mobile elements (1986)|
|Doctoral advisor||David Hogness|
Richard P. Lifton (born 1953) is an American biochemist and the 11th and current president of The Rockefeller University. He earned his B.A. in biological sciences from Dartmouth College and in 1986 he got his M.D. and Ph.D. in biochemistry from Stanford University. He trained at Brigham and Women's Hospital before starting his lab at Yale in 1993. He has been awarded the Wiley Prize in Biomedical Sciences for his discovery of genes that are associated with the regulation of blood pressure. In 2014 he was awarded the $3 million Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences for his work. He has been a Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) investigator since 1994. He was inducted into the National Academy of Science and Institute of Medicine, and he is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- "Richard P. Lifton assumes office as the university's 11th president". The Rockefeller University. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- Lifton, Richard Priestley (1986). The Organization And Expression Of The Drosophila Melanogaster Histone Genes And Interspersed Mobile Elements (repeated, Pseudogenes) (Ph.D.). Stanford University. OCLC 245263386 – via ProQuest.
- "Richard Lifton, M.D., Ph.D." Broad Institute. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- Seventh Annual Wiley Prize in Biomedical Sciences Awarded to Dr. Richard P. Lifton
- "Laureates: 2014". Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences.
- "Richard P. Lifton, M.D., Ph.D." HHMI. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "Richard P. Lifton named 11th president of The Rockefeller University". Rockefeller University. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
| President of Rockefeller University
2016 – present