Richard Plepler & Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, May 2012
|Born||1960 (age 59–60)|
|Known for||Former Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of HBO|
|Awards||International Emmy Directorate Award|
Richard Plepler (born 1960) is the former chairman and chief executive officer of HBO, a subsidiary of AT&T's WarnerMedia. On February 28, 2019, it was announced that Plepler was leaving HBO.
Plepler was born in Manchester, Connecticut to a Jewish family. He is the elder of two brothers raised in Manchester. His parents were active in Democratic politics. His father was a trial lawyer. He graduated from Franklin & Marshall College.
Plepler studied government in college and then moved to Washington in 1981 and worked for Connecticut Senator Christopher Dodd.
Plepler later moved to New York City in 1984 where he opened a public relations firm and produced a series of interviews for The Atlantic magazine and a documentary on Israel and the Palestinian conflict. In 2007, he was appointed as co-president of HBO with Michael Lombardo during which HBO began production on Game of Thrones, True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, and The Newsroom and Strike Back.
In January, 2020, The New York Times reported, "The gregarious executive, a quintessential New York power player who spent 27 years at HBO and left eight months after AT&T became its owner, is rebooting himself as a producer. And he will do it with Apple."
- New York Times: "There’s Something About Richard - Richard Plepler of HBO Stands Tall in New York’s Cultural Elite" by Laura M. Holson September 21, 2012
- "Richard Plepler, Home Box Office Inc: Profile & Biography - Bloomberg". Bloomberg. Retrieved March 5, 2017.
- "Richard Plepler". Time Warner. Retrieved March 5, 2017.
- "Richard Plepler addresses the future at DealBook". Cnbc.com. Retrieved March 5, 2017.
- New York Magazine: "Barack Obama is the best thing Israel has going for it right now. Why is that so difficult for Netanyahu and his American Jewish allies to understand?" by John Heilemann September 18, 2011
- Beth Sholom B'nai Israel (Aug 2016). "Bulletin (Vol. 5776)" (PDF). p. 14.
- Buckler, Matt (1 March 2019). "Manchester native exits as HBO CEO". Journal Inquirer. Manchester, Connecticut. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- Garrahan, Matthew (Jan 9, 2015). "Lunch with the FT: Richard Plepler". Financial Times. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- Variety Magazine: "Richard Plepler, CHAIRMAN / CEO HBO" retrieved October 28, 2017
- Koblin, John (2020-01-02). "Apple Deal Returns Former HBO Boss Richard Plepler to Spotlight". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-01-04.
- Rush, George; Malloy, Joanna; Anderson, Kasia; Rubin, Lauren (April 25, 2002). "New Love Keeps Carrey On His Toes". New York Daily News.