He was only 16 when he made his debut in 1773.
He was an all-rounder noted as a slow bowler who maintained good line and length and a "fair hitter". He played regularly from 1781 till the end of his career in 1803, making 113 known first-class appearances.
- Fresh Light on 18th Century Cricket by G B Buckley (FL18)
- The Dawn of Cricket by H T Waghorn (WDC)
- Scores & Biographies, Volume 1 by Arthur Haygarth (SBnnn)
- The Glory Days of Cricket by Ashley Mote (GDC)
- John Nyren's "The Cricketers of my Time" by Ashley Mote