Richard Joseph Romanos
February 28, 1945
|Occupation||Actor, writer, screenwriter, songwriter|
|Awards||Best Original Screenplay in Longform Television by the Writers Guild of America (nominated)|
Richard Romanus (born Richard Joseph Romanos; February 28, 1945) is an American actor. Among other roles, he has appeared in Martin Scorsese's Mean Streets and provided voices for Ralph Bakshi's animated films Wizards and Hey Good Lookin'. He played Richard La Penna, Jennifer Melfi's ex-husband, later husband again, in four episodes of The Sopranos from 1999 to 2002. In 1999, he co-wrote the Christmas film If You Believe along with his wife Anthea Sylbert, which was nominated for a Best Original Screenplay award by the Writers Guild of America.
Romanus was born in Barre, Vermont, the son of Eileen (née Maloof) and Dr. Raymond Romanos. He lived in West Hartford, Connecticut, and in 1964 graduated from Xavier University with a bachelor's in philosophy, before studying acting with Lee Strasberg at the Actors Studio in New York. His younger brother Robert is also an actor. They both appeared in an episode of MacGyver - "The Prodigal" - in 1985. He is of Lebanese descent.
On May 20, 1967, he married Tina Bowman. They had a son named Robert before divorcing in 1980. Romanus has been married to Oscar-nominated costume designer Anthea Sylbert since August 11, 1985.
In 2004, Romanus and his wife moved to the Greek island of Skiathos and since then he has focused on writing. In 2011, he published his memoirs, Act III (Aiora Press, Athens, and Armida Publications, Nicosia), and first novel, Chrysalis (Armida Publications). In 2012, Act III was short-listed for the International Rubery Book Award.
This is a list of films that have featured Richard Romanus.
- 1973 – Mean Streets as Michael
- 1974 – The Gravy Train as Carlo
- 1975 – Russian Roulette as Ragulia
- 1977 – Wizards as Weehawk (voice)
- 1977 – Night Terror (TV movie) as The Killer
- 1979 – Gold of the Amazon Women (TV movie) as Luis Escobar
- 1980 – Sitting Ducks as Moose Joe Mastaki
- 1981 – Heavy Metal as Harry Canyon (voice)
- 1982 – Pandemonium as Jarrett
- 1982 – Hey Good Lookin' as Vinnie (voice)
- 1983 – Strangers Kiss as Frank Silva
- 1984 – Crackups (TV movie)
- 1984 – More than Murder (TV movie) as Bordante
- 1984 – Second Sight: A Love Story (TV movie) as Dr. Ross Harkin
- 1984 – Protocol as the Emir
- 1986 – Murphy's Law as Frank Vincenzo
- 1987 – Ghost of a Chance (TV movie) as Julio Mendez
- 1988 – The Couch Trip as Harvey Michaels
- 1989 – Married to the Mob (TV movie) as Tony
- 1990 – Hollywood Heartbreak as Niles Gregory
- 1990 – Final Stage as The Producer
- 1991 – Oscar as Vendetti
- 1991 – The Entertainers (TV movie) as 'Chick'
- 1992 – To Protect and Serve as Captain Malouf
- 1993 – Point of No Return as Fahd Bahktiar
- 1994 – Cops & Robbersons as Fred Lutz
- 1995 – The Rockford Files: A Blessing in Disguise (TV movie) as Penguinetti
- 1998 – Urban Relics as Charlie Shivers
- 1998 – Giving Up the Ghost (TV movie)
- 1999 – Carlo's Wake as Carmine D'Angelo
- 1999 – If You Believe (TV movie)
- 2001 – Nailed as Uncle Robert
- 2003 – The Young Black Stallion as Ben Ishak
- 1970 – Mission: Impossible
- 1970–71 – The Mod Squad (as Richard Romanos)
- 1974 – Rhoda
- 1977 – Charlie's Angels
- 1977 – Starsky & Hutch
- 1978 – Rockford Files
- 1978 - Hawaii Five-O Episode: "Small Potatoes" as Johnny Noah
- 1981–82 – Strike Force
- 1985 – Tales from the Darkside
- 1985 – MacGyver
- 1988 – Mission Impossible
- 1996 – Diagnosis Murder
- Act III, 2011 (Aiora Press, Athens, and Armida Publications, Nicosia)
- Chrysalis, 2011 (Armida Publications, Nicosia)
Awards and nominations
- 1999 – Best Original Screenplay in Long Form Television - Writers Guild of America
- 2012 – Short-listed for the International Rubery Book Award for Act III
- "Richard Joseph Romanos : Vermont, Vital Records". Archived from the original on April 14, 2015. Retrieved April 8, 2015.
- "Richard Romanus Biography (1943-)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Xavier University. "Profile: Richard Romanus | Xavier Magazine". Xtra.xavier.edu. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- IMDb. "MacGyver: The Prodigal". IMDB.com. Retrieved 2018-06-26.
- Hammer, Joshua (2016-03-14). "Outraged Arab-Americans Charge That Goldie Hawn's New Film Violates the Rules of Protocol". People.com. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- "Amazon.com: RICHARD ROMANUS: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle". Amazon.com. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Richard Romanus". IMDb. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on July 5, 2012. Retrieved July 9, 2012.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)