Richard Sackville (escheator)
Richard Sackville was the eldest son of John Sackville (ca. 1484–1557) of Withyham and Chiddingly, Sussex, and his first wife, Margaret (d. ca. 1533), daughter of Sir William Boleyn of Blickling, and on his mother's side was cousin to Anne Boleyn.
He was under-treasurer of the exchequer, chancellor of the Court of Augmentations, Escheator of Surrey and Sussex in 1541–2 and was made custos rotulorum of Sussex in 1549 (till his death) and is the first listed Lord Lieutenant of that county from 1550 (till his death); he was also made steward of the archbishop of Canterbury's Sussex manors in 1554.
Marriage and issue
In 1535 Sackville married Winifred (d.1586), the daughter of Sir John Brydges [Bridges or Brugge] (ca. 1460-1530), (Lord Mayor of the City of London in 1520) and his wife Agnes Ayloffe, the daughter of Thomas Ayloffe. They had a son Thomas, a favourite of Elizabeth I, and a daughter Anne. After Richard Sackville's death his widow, Winifred before 30 September 1568, married John Paulet, 2nd Marquess of Winchester becoming his third wife, the marriage produced no issue.
- Hasler. History of Parliament. p. 314.
- Sybil M. Jack, ‘Sackville, Sybil M. Jack, Oxford University Press, 2004 accessed 11 March 2011
- Horsfield. The History, Antiquities and Topography of the County of Sussex. Vol. I. pp.79-83.
- "Past Chancellors". UK Government. Retrieved 2012-01-07.
- Richardson III 2011, p. 311.
- The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex. Winifrid Brydges.
- Brydges. Collins Peerage. p. 710.
- The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex Agnes Ayloffe.
- Brydges, Edgerton (1812). Collins Peerage of England. Volume VI. London: F.C. and J. Rivington, Otridge and Son et al.
- Hasler, P.W., ed. (1982). The History of Parliament, Commons, 1558–1603, Vol. III. Secker & Warburg. ISBN 0-11-887501-9.
- "History of Parliament SACKVILLE, Richard II (by 1507-66) of Ashburnham and Buckhurst Sussex". The History of Parliament. Archived from the original on February 4, 2012. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- Horsfield, Thomas Walker (1834). The History, Antiquities and Topography of the County of Sussex (repr. 2004). Bakewell: Country Books. ISBN 978-1-906789-16-9.
- Jack, Sybil M. (2004). "Sackville, Sir Richard (d. 1566)(online ed., Jan 2008)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- "The Weald of Kent, Surrey and Sussex". Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G., ed. Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families. III (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 144996639X.
Sir John Baker
|Chancellor of the Exchequer
Sir William Shelley
|Custos Rotulorum of Sussex