|Richard John Samworth|
|Born||May 1978 (age 38)|
|Residence||Cambridge, United Kingdom|
|Institutions||University of Cambridge|
|Alma mater||St John's College, Cambridge|
|Thesis||Some mathematical and theoretical aspects of the bootstrap (2004)|
|Doctoral advisor||Alastair Young|
Richard John Samworth (born May 1978) is a Professor of Statistics in the Statistical Laboratory, University of Cambridge, and a Teaching Fellow of St John's College, Cambridge. He was educated at St John's College, Cambridge. Currently, his main research interests are in nonparametric and high-dimensional statistics. Particular topics include shape-constrained density and other nonparametric function estimation problems, nonparametric classification, clustering and regression, the bootstrap and high-dimensional variable selection problems.
Honours and Awards
- Fellow, American Statistical Association (2015 election)
- The Philip Leverhulme Prize 2014, Leverhulme Trust 
- Fellow, Institute of Mathematical Statistics (2014 election)
- The Guy Medal in Bronze 2012, Royal Statistical Society
- The Research Prize 2008, Royal Statistical Society
- Cule, M. L., Samworth, R. J. and Stewart, M. I. (2010), Maximum likelihood estimation of a multidimensional log-concave density, J. Roy. Statist. Soc., Ser. B. (with discussion), to appear.
- Fan, J., Samworth, R. and Wu, Y. (2009), Ultrahigh dimensional feature selection: beyond the linear model, J. Machine Learning Research, 10, 2013–2038.
- Hall, P., Park, B. U. and Samworth, R. J. (2008), Choice of neighbour order in nearest-neighbour classification, Ann. Stat., 36, 2135–2152
- "Richard Samworth | Official web page at Cambridge". statslab.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "IMS Fellows 2014 « IMS Bulletin". bulletin.imstat.org. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "Account Suspended". rssenews.org.uk. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 March 2012. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Richard Samworth's home page at the University of Cambridge.