Richard John Samworth
|Born||May 1978 (age 41)|
|Residence||Cambridge, United Kingdom|
|Alma mater||St John's College, Cambridge|
|Institutions||University of Cambridge|
|Thesis||Some mathematical and theoretical aspects of the bootstrap (2004)|
|Doctoral advisor||Alastair Young|
Richard John Samworth (born May 1978) is the Professor of Statistical Science and the Director of the Statistical Laboratory, University of Cambridge, and a Teaching Fellow of St John's College, Cambridge. He was educated at St John's College, Cambridge. His main research interests are in nonparametric and high-dimensional statistics. Particular topics include shape-constrained density estimation and other nonparametric function estimation problems, nonparametric classification, clustering and regression, the bootstrap and high-dimensional variable selection problems.
Honours and awards
- The COPSS Presidents' Award 2018 
- IMS Medallion Lecture 2018 
- The Adams Prize 2017 
- Fellow, American Statistical Association (2015 election)
- Philip Leverhulme Prize 2014, Leverhulme Trust 
- Fellow, Institute of Mathematical Statistics (2014 election)
- The Guy Medal in Bronze 2012, Royal Statistical Society
- The Research Prize 2008, Royal Statistical Society
- Cannings, T. I. and Samworth, R. J. (2017), Random projection ensemble classification, J. Roy. Statist. Soc., Ser. B. (with discussion), 79, 959-1035.
- Cule, M. L., Samworth, R. J. and Stewart, M. I. (2010), Maximum likelihood estimation of a multidimensional log-concave density, J. Roy. Statist. Soc., Ser. B. (with discussion), 72, 545-600.
- Fan, J., Samworth, R. and Wu, Y. (2009), Ultrahigh dimensional feature selection: beyond the linear model, Journal of Machine Learning Research, 10, 2013–2038.
- Hall, P., Park, B. U. and Samworth, R. J. (2008), Choice of neighbour order in nearest-neighbour classification, Ann. Stat., 36, 2135–2152
- "Richard Samworth | Official web page at Cambridge". statslab.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "IMS Fellows 2014 « IMS Bulletin". bulletin.imstat.org. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "Account Suspended". rssenews.org.uk. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 March 2012. Retrieved 16 May 2012. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Richard Samworth's home page at the University of Cambridge.