28 March 1961 |
University of Oxford
|Alma mater||University of Glasgow
Balliol College, Oxford
|Known for||The Grid|
Richard Susskind OBE (born 28 March 1961) is a British author, speaker, and independent adviser to international professional firms and national governments. He is the IT Adviser to the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales, holds professorships at the University of Oxford, Gresham College and Strathclyde University, is a past Chair of the Advisory Panel on Public Sector Information and is the President of the Society for Computers and Law.
Susskind has specialised in legal technology since the early 1980s, has authored 9 books and is a regular columnist at The Times newspaper. Susskind has more recently furthered his research to cover the professions more generally and his latest book, co-authored with Daniel Susskind, predicts the decline of today's professions and describes the people and systems that will replace them. They argue that the current professions are antiquated and no longer affordable and explain how 'increasingly capable systems' will fundamentally change the way that professional expertise is shared. They propose 6 models for producing and distributing expertise in society.
Online dispute resolution
Susskind chairs the UK Civil Justice Council’s Advisory Group on Online Dispute Resolution, which published a report in February 2015 recommending the establishment of Her Majesty’s Online Courts (HMOC). The report recommends HMOC consist of 3 tiers, Online Evaluation, Online Facilitation and Online Judges. According to the report, the benefits of HMOC would be an increase in access to justice and substantial savings in the cost of the court system.
1992 – Honorary Member, Society for Computers and Law
2000 – OBE, for services to IT in the Law and to the Administration of Justice
2001 – Honorary Fellow of Law Faculty, Durham University
2005 – Honorary Professor, Gresham College, London
- Expert Systems in Law (Oxford University Press, 1987; paperback, 1989)
- Latent Damage Law – The Expert System (Butterworths, 1988) (with P.N. Capper)
- Essays on Law and Artificial Intelligence (Tano, 1993)
- The Future of Law (Oxford University Press, 1996; revised paperback, 1998)
- Transforming the Law (Oxford University Press, 2000; revised paperback, 2003)
- The Susskind Interviews (Sweet & Maxwell, 2005)
- The End of Lawyers? (Oxford University Press, 2008; revised paperback, 2010)
- Tomorrow's Lawyers: An Introduction to Your Future (Oxford University Press, paperback 2013)
- The Future of the Professions: How Technology Will Transform the Work of Human Experts (Oxford University Press, 2015) (with D. Susskind)
- "Oxford Internet Institute – People – Professor Richard Susskind OBE". Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- "Richard Susskind". Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- "Susskind Richard Prof – University of Strathclyde". Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/system/topicRoot/The_End_of_Lawyers/[dead link]
- "The Future of the Professions: Hardback: Richard Susskind - Oxford University Press". ukcatalogue.oup.com. Retrieved 2015-10-12. line feed character in
|title=at position 58 (help)
- "Courts and Tribunals Judiciary | ODR Report February 2015". www.judiciary.gov.uk. Retrieved 2015-10-12.