Richard Watson (author)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Richard Watson (born 1961) is an English author, lecturer and futurist known for his 2007 book Future Files: a Brief History of The Next 50 Years and for his infographics, especially his Trends & Technology Timeline 2010-2050 and the Timeline of Emerging Science and Technology 2015-2030.
He has written 5 books about the future and is the founder of What's Next, a website that documents global trends. He has been a blogger on innovation for Fast Company Magazine and has written about creativity, innovation, and future thinking for a variety of publications including Future Orientation (Copenhagen Institute for Future Studies) and What Matters (McKinsey & Company). He is a proponent of scenario planning and an advocate of preferred futures, believing it is incumbent upon organisations to create compelling visions of the future and work towards their realisation.
In addition to writing, Watson works with the Technology Foresight Practice  at Imperial College London and Lectures at London Business School and the King's Fund. He is also a network member of Stratforma and has worked with the Strategic Trends Unit at the UK Ministry of Defence, the RAND Corporation, CSIRO, the Cabinet Office and the Departments of Education in the UK and Australia.
Richard Watson was born in the UK, but holds a dual British–Australian citizenship. He is married with two boys, with whom he enjoys practising hobbies like gardening, driving old cars and writing.
- Watson, Richard (2007). Future Files: A Brief History of the Next 50 Years. Melbourne: Scribe Publications. ISBN 978-1921215414. Translated to Hungarian, Korean, Turkish, Croatian, Lithuanian, Portuguese, Arabic, Indonesian, Russian, Persian, Bulgarian, Czech and Thai.
- Watson, Richard (2010). Future Minds: How the Digital Age is Changing Our Minds, Why this Matters and What We Can Do About It. Nicholas Brealey Publishing. ISBN 978-1857884586. Translated to Japanese, Korean, Serbian, Spanish, Thai, Chinese (traditional complex characters).
- Watson, Richard (2012). The Future: 50 Ideas You Really Need to Know. Quercus Science. ISBN 9781780871592.
- Watson, Richard; Freeman, Oliver (2013). Futurevision: Scenarios for the World in 2040. Scribe Publishing. ISBN 978-1922070098.
- Watson, Richard (2016), Digital Vs Human: How We'll Live, Love and Think in the Future. Scribe Publishing. ISBN 978-1-925228-42-7
- Watson, Richard (2010-01-01). Future Files: A Brief History of the Next 50 Years. Nicholas Brealey Publishing. ISBN 9781857885347.
- Watson, Richard. "What's Next - Trend maps". nowandnext.com. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Timeline of Emerging Science and Technology - Tech Foresight". www.imperialtechforesight.com. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- WorldCat Identities
- Watson, Richard. "What's Next". nowandnext.com. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Copenhagen Institute for Futures Studies, Futurists, future research". cifs.dk. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Home - Tech Foresight". www.imperialtechforesight.com. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Stratforma Consulting - Better Decisions Today for an Uncertain Tomorrow". Stratforma Consulting. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "RAND Corporation Provides Objective Research Services and Public Policy Analysis | RAND". www.rand.org. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- CSIRO. "Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Australian Government". www.csiro.au. Retrieved 2016-01-25.