Richard Whitehead (athlete)
Richard Whitehead with his Paralympic Gold medal at the Our Greatest Team Parade
|Born||19 July 1976|
|Weight||80 kg (176 lb)|
|Achievements and titles|
|World finals||2012 London 200m – 24.38s (WR)|
He holds the world record for athletes with a double amputation, in both the full and half marathon. At the 2010 Chicago Marathon, he broke his previous world record for athletes with lower-limb amputations, with a time of 2:42:52.
Whitehead was unable to compete in the marathon at London 2012 as there was no category for leg amputees, and was refused permission by the IPC to compete against upper-body amputees and so had to turn to sprinting to compete at the 2012 Paralympics, where he won the gold medal in the 200m T42 Athletics event with a world record time of 24.38 seconds.
Whitehead was appointed the first-ever patron of Sarcoma UK, the bone- and soft-tissue cancer charity, on 28 January 2013.
Richard is also a patron of Gedling Sports Partnership, a charity that promotes sport and Physical Education in the borough of Gedling.
His name was added to the Nottingham City Transport bus service "Pathfinder 100" on 18 September 2012; the bus links his home village of Lowdham with Southwell and Nottingham.
On 21 April 2013 he competed in the London Marathon coming in 23rd place with a time of 3:15:53.
- Sprinter Whitehead secures cash boost after golden display, thisisbristol.co.uk, 16 February 2011
- Richard Whitehead Sets New World Best in Chicago Marathon, oandp.com, 26 October 2010
- Gibson, Owen (1 September 2012). "Paralympics 2012: Richard Whitehead sprints to glory in T42 200m final". The Guardian. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "Paralympics 2012: Richard Whitehead wins 200m gold for GB". Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- "No. 60367". The London Gazette (Supplement). 29 December 2012. p. 25.
- NY13 Honours – London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Cabinet Office
- "Richard Whitehead Runs Britain".
- Athlete Search Results – Whitehead, Richard, International Paralympic Committee (IPC)
- Richard Whitehead: Forget Oscar Pistorius – I'm the fastest man on no legs, insideworldparasport.biz, 18 March 2010