Richard Whiting (rugby league)
|Born||20 December 1984|
Featherstone, West Yorkshire, England
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||15 st 10 lb (100 kg)|
|Position||Second-row, Centre, Wing|
Richard Whiting (born nickname "Superman", is an English former professional rugby league footballer who last played for the Toronto Wolfpack in the Kingstone Press Championship. Able to play in a variety of positions, he was considered a utility player.20 December 1984), also known by the
Previously playing in the Championship for the Featherstone Rovers and the Leigh Centurions, he spent most of his professional career in the Super League with Hull FC, with whom he won the 2005 Challenge Cup, and was named Super League's Young Player of the Year in 2005.
Whiting was born in Featherstone, West Yorkshire, England, and he was a promising association football player as a youngster and was signed to a scholarship with Barnsley as a 16-year-old before deciding to pursue a career in rugby league.
Whiting joined Hull F.C. in 2004. In 2005 he made 24 appearances during the season and also won the league's Young Player of the Year. Whiting played for Hull at centre in the 2005 Challenge Cup final, scoring a try in the victory over Leeds. Hull reached the 2006 Super League Grand final against St. Helens, and Whiting played from the substitutes' bench in his side's 4-26 loss.
Whiting continued to be a regular in the Hull FC team, filling in a multitude of roles and positions and earning a reputation as one of the most reliable players in the league. In 2014, he was awarded a testimonial to mark 10 years with the club.
In 2016, Richard moved to Leigh on a 2-month loan after falling down the pecking order. He made his début for Leigh in the 24-20 win over London Broncos. In April 2016 Whiting signed for Leigh on a permanent basis, ending his 12-year stint at Hull.
- "Hull 1st Team Richard Whiting". Hull FC. Hull FC. 2015. Archived from the original on 22 May 2013. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Profile at loverugbyleague.com". loverugbyleague.com. 31 December 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject.org. 31 December 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- "England Statistics at englandrl.co.uk". englandrl.co.uk. 31 December 2017. Archived from the original on 13 December 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- Hull FC's gentle giant Richard Whiting on ten grand years as a reluctant Superman
- "St Helens 26-4 Hull FC". BBC News. 14 October 2006. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- Hull FC coach praises 'Mr Reliable' Richard Whiting
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Richard Whiting (rugby league).|