Richard Wood (footballer)
|Full name||Richard Mark Wood|
|Date of birth||5 July 1985|
|Place of birth||Ossett, England|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|2009||→ Coventry City (loan)||24||(3)|
|2015||→ Crawley Town (loan)||10||(3)|
|2015||→ Fleetwood Town (loan)||6||(0)|
|2015||→ Chesterfield (loan)||5||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20:43, 9 May 2016 (UTC).
Born in Ossett, West Yorkshire, Wood was a Leeds United fan and had a season ticket at Leeds, however Wood came up through the ranks at Sheffield Wednesday and started to support The Owls instead. He broke into the senior side at the end of the 2002–03 season and capped his superb performance with a goal on his full debut against Burnley. The young Wood made such an impression that he was handed a two-year deal before he completed the second year of his Academy scholarship.
He formed an impressive partnership with Graham Coughlan in the centre of defence and has put in a series of strong displays.
Wood staked his claim for a regular spot as he missed just one of the final 28 games as Wednesday clinched promotion to the Championship the previous season.
He enjoyed a lengthy run in the 2005–06 season before an untimely injury cut short his season, which also deprived him of making an appearance for the Football League Select XI against an Italian Serie B representative side. To cap of this tremendous season, he was rewarded by receiving the Rhodes Fairbanks Young player of the year award by fans of the club.
On 3 March 2007 Wood returned from his injury to make his first start for Wednesday in 11 months in a 3–2 league win against Yorkshire rivals Leeds United at Elland Road. He would go on to start in the rest of Wednesday's 11 games that season and helped them to finish the season with just one loss from 13 games – a run which almost saw the side finish in the Championship play-offs.
On 18 November 2009, Wood signed for Coventry City on loan until January 2010, when he is then expected to sign a permanent deal. He made his debut in a 1–1 draw with Crystal Palace on 21 November 2009. He then got his first goal for the Sky Blues the following game with the equaliser against Derby County. On 6 December Wood even captained Coventry in a 1–0 loss to Scunthorpe United. After 4 starts and 1 substitute appearance, Wood made the move permanent signing on a contract till 2013 on 1 January 2010. On 27 March 2010, Wood scored the equaliser for Coventry in a match against his former club, Sheffield Wednesday. He was also named as captain in this game which finished 1–1.
Stats according to Soccerbase
- As of match played 8 February 2017.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other[A]||Total|
|Sheffield Wednesday||2002–03||Division One||3||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||3||1|
|Coventry City (loan)||2009–10||Championship||5||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||5||1|
|Crawley Town (loan)||2014–15||League One||10||3||0||0||0||0||0||0||10||3|
|Fleetwood Town (loan)||2015–16||League One||6||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||7||0|
|Chesterfield (loan)||2015–16||League One||5||0||2||0||0||0||0||0||7||0|
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2003). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2003/2004. Queen Anne Press. p. 461. ISBN 1-85291-651-6.
- "Owls transfer list defender Wood". BBC Sport. 29 October 2009. Retrieved 18 November 2009.
- "News: Wood signs on loan". Coventry City F.C. 18 November 2009. Retrieved 18 November 2009.
- "Coventry 1–1 Crystal Palace". BBC Sport. 21 November 2009. Retrieved 22 November 2009.
- "Wood and Hussey complete moves". Coventry City F.C. 1 January 2010. Retrieved 1 January 2010.
- "Wood deal confirmed". Charlton Athletic. 18 July 2013.
- "Richard Wood joins Rotherham United". Charlton Athletic. 26 June 2014.
- "Richard Wood: Crawley sign Rotherham defender on loan". BBC Sport. 20 February 2015. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Rotherham 1-3 Preston North End". BBC Sport. 5 November 2016. Retrieved 7 November 2016.