Richland Senior High School
|This article is outdated. (February 2014)|
Richland Senior High School is a high school located in Richland Township, Pennsylvania, United States, a suburb of Johnstown, Pennsylvania. A brand new high school has been built for the 2007-2008 school year as the new $42 million addition to the Richland School District. It was announced by the Richland School Board that the new high school will consist of students in grades 7-12. Richland's unofficial statement is the 3 A's. Academics, Athletics, and the Arts.
Richland is classified as a single "A" school for most sports, while in other sports it reaches the double "A" classification. Though Richland has not had any state championship teams for a while, Richland has had success on the state level with individual athletes. Notable individual athletes have gone through its doors in the sports of swimming– Jessica Brutz was a state champion (6-Time High School All-American and 6-Time NCAA All-American)– and wrestling– Eric Bowser in 1986 and Chad Sichak in 2002. The girls volleyball team has done exceptionally well, winning the state title a number of times in the 1990s as well as placing in states in numerous years. Stephanie Istvan may be the most decorated athlete to pass through Richland earning two consecutive Gatorade player of the year honors.--> In 2002, the Girls soccer team won its first District Championship and advanced to the State Playoffs, as well as won District Championships in 2008 and 2009, also advancing in the State Playoffs. In addition, The Richland Boys Soccer Team has won its District Championship three years in a row (2004-2006) however lost in 2007, but won again in 2008, and not again until 2010 advancing to the Pennsylvania Single A State Boys Soccer Playoffs each time and only making it past the first round in 2004. The Richland Football program has been rebuilding recently. In 2008 they made it to the State playoffs. In 2010 their record was 6-4, including 5 straight wins to close the season. In 2012, they went undefeated and beat rival Forest Hills 27-0 to win the District 6 AA Championship, ultimately losing in the PIAA Western Finals to Aliquippa High School 37-21. In 1972 the football team went undefeated and the basketball team was undefeated until losing in the state semi-final round. In those days, the district enrollment was much larger and teams played in class "AAA".
Richland School District offers intensive arts instruction in five departments; Instrumental Music, Literary Arts, Theatre, Visual Arts and Vocal Music. They begin their curriculum in kindergarten to build through a student's high school career.
- Steve Marx - Poker Player - Played in the 36th Annual World Series of Poker in 2005 and won $274,090. He was eliminated by famous poker professional Phil Ivey and finished in 35th place. His performance was aired on ESPN TV in 2005.
- Randy Moore - Professional Football Player - Denver Broncos - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoorRa20.htm
- Ronald Keith "Ron" Machtley (born July 13, 1948) was a Republican member of the United States House of Representatives from Rhode Island from 1989 to 1995. Since 1996, Machtley has served as president of Bryant University in Smithfield, Rhode Island. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Machtley
- Jon Ford - Poker Player - On January 10, 2007 he made the final table in the PokerStars Caribbean Poker Adventure, a $8000 buy-in event on the World Poker Tour. His winnings in this tournament totaled $550,980. This tournament was shown during a one-hour telecast via the Travel Channel.
- Dr. Wade L. Thomas (1973) co-author of Economic Issues Today: Alternative Approaches
- A. Susan (Miller) Svehla, class of 1973, writer, director, publisher. As co-owner of Midnight Marquee Press, Inc. Svehla and her husband Gary have published over 100 books, mostly on classic films.