Richmond County, Nova Scotia
Comté de Richmond (French)
Siorramachd Richmond (Scottish Gaelic)
Location of Richmond County, Nova Scotia
|Incorporated||April 17, 1879|
|Electoral Districts |
|• Type||Richmond County Municipal Council|
|• Warden||Jason MacLean|
|• Land||1,249.33 km2 (482.37 sq mi)|
|• Density||7.2/km2 (19/sq mi)|
|• Change 2011-16||3.5%|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (AST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-3 (ADT)|
|Median Income*||$40,188 CDN|
Richmond County comprises that territory known as the Southern District which was established in 1824 at the time of the dividing of Cape Breton Island into three districts. The boundaries of the Southern District were defined at the time of its establishment. Those same boundaries were determined to be the boundaries of Richmond County by statute in 1847.
- County municipality and county subdivisions
Highways and numbered routes that run through the county, including external routes that start or finish at the county limits:
As a census division in the 2016 Census of Population conducted by Statistics Canada, Richmond County recorded a population of 8,964 living in 3,983 of its 5,122 total private dwellings, a change of −3.5% from its 2011 population of 9,293. With a land area of 1,249.33 km2 (482.37 sq mi), it had a population density of 7.2/km2 ( 18.6/sq mi) in 2016.
Forming the majority of the Richmond County census division, the Municipality of the County of Richmond recorded a population of 8,458 living in 3,822 of its 4,955 total private dwellings in the 2016 Census of Population, a change of −4% from its 2011 population of 8,812. With a land area of 1,243.72 km2 (480.20 sq mi), it had a population density of 6.8/km2 ( 17.6/sq mi) in 2016.
|Ethnic Origin||Population||Pct (%)|
|North American Indian||685||7.1%|
- List of municipalities in Nova Scotia
- Central Nova Tourist Association – Tourism Association Representing Colchester County.
- "MacLean chosen as new warden of Richmond County". Cape Breton Post. October 24, 2018. Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- 2006 Statistics Canada Community Profile: Richmond County, Nova Scotia
- Statistics Canada Population and dwelling counts, for Canada and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2006 and 2001 censuses - 100% data
- ctvnews.ca: "Old town relics leave Nova Scotia communities feeling empty", 6 Jun 2015
- Atlantic Canada Back Road Atlas ISBN 978-1-55368-618-7 Pages 56-58, 73
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census divisions, 2016 and 2011 censuses – 100% data (Nova Scotia)". Statistics Canada. February 8, 2017. Retrieved February 12, 2017.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2016 and 2011 censuses – 100% data (Nova Scotia)". Statistics Canada. February 8, 2017. Retrieved February 12, 2017.
- Censuses 1871-1941
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006 census
- Statistics Canada: 2011 census
- 2006 Statistics Canada Census Ethnocultural Portrait of Canada: Richmond County, Nova Scotia
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Richmond County, Nova Scotia.|