Richmond County Bank Ballpark (Staten Island Railway station)
|Richmond County Bank Ballpark|
|Staten Island Railway rapid transit station|
|Address||Wall Street & Richmond Terrace
Staten Island, NY 10301
|Line||SIR North Shore Line|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Opened||June 24, 2001|
|Closed||June 18, 2010|
Richmond Country Bank Ballpark (styled simply as Ballpark on station signage, and often referred to as Stadium station) is a closed station on the Staten Island Railway. The newest station on the railway, it opened on June 24, 2001 in conjunction with the Staten Island Yankees baseball season, serving the team's Richmond County Bank Ballpark on game days only. It closed on June 18, 2010 due to budget cuts.
Located at Wall Street and Richmond Terrace, it is about 150 yards (140 m) west of Saint George Terminal along what used to be the North Shore Branch Line, which is not considered part of the main line of the railway.
The station is located underneath the stadium below the northern sidewalk of Richmond Terrace between Wall Street and Hamilton Avenue. It consists of an island platform, with a double wide staircase to Wall Street at the east end and ADA elevator to Hamilton Avenue at the west end. There are no turnstiles at this station. It is served by a one-track wye which extends from St. George to the southern (geographically eastern) trackway of the station's island platform. Bumper blocks are present at the end of the station, though the wye continues electrified to the end of the ballpark parking lot where it ends at a second set of bumper blocks. The northern trackway currently has no track and is unused.
This station was only operational during the baseball season, which usually runs from June to September. One train was scheduled to travel to/from Tottenville, with two or three shuttle trains from St. George serving the station.
Due to a budget crisis for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, this station was closed on June 18, 2010, the first scheduled home game of the season. As a result, a short walk from Saint George or the S40 or S44 buses is required to reach the stadium. Trains last served the station in September 2009.
|Northern trackway||→ Trackbed|
|Island platform, not in service|
|Southern track||→ No regular service
← (No service: Tompkinsville or St. George)
- Wagner, Michael (2001-06-24). "'Baseball Extra' to shuttle fans to new ballpark". Staten Island Advance.
- "MTA Board Approves Service Changes". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Archived from the original on 2010-05-15. Retrieved May 15, 2010.
- Office of Diane J. Savino (2013). "State Senator Diane J. Savino’s 2013 Staten Island Railway Rider Report" (PDF). nysenate.gov. New York State Senate. Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- "Feasibility Study of the North Shore Railroad Right-of-Way Project Assessment Report March 2004" (PDF). library.wagner.edu. Office of the Staten Island Borough President, Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, URS, SYSTRA,. March 2004. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
- "2010 NYC Transit Service Reductions" (PDF). mta.info. Metropolitan Transit Authority (New York). January 27, 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-11-25. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "MTA/New York City Transit – NYC Transit 2010 Service Reduction Proposals". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Archived from the original on 2014-03-13. Retrieved May 15, 2010.