Richmond Green Secondary School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Richmond Green Secondary School|
1 William F. Bell Pkwy
|School type||High school|
|Motto||"Where tomorrow begins"|
|School board||York Region District School Board|
|Area trustee||Carol Chan|
|Enrollment||1154 (October 2013)|
|Mascot||Richmond Green Rattlers|
|Last updated: September 2017|
Richmond Green Secondary School is a public secondary school in Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada. The school is located off of Leslie Street, just north of Elgin Mills Road. The school is a part of the York Region District School Board.
Despite officially opening as a high school in 2005, the building was built a year earlier and functioned as a temporary elementary school due to the nearby Lincoln Alexander Public School experiencing major construction setbacks. During the 2005/2006 school year, another York Region District School Board elementary school occupied the third floor due to an extensive asbestos cleanup occurring in their building. At this time, secondary school classes were restricted to the first and second floors.
Richmond Green had an enrollment of approximately 331 Grade 9 and 10 students and over 30 staff in its inaugural school year. Most of the Grade 10 students came from nearby Bayview Secondary School and Richmond Hill High School. In its second year, the number of students increased to 500 as Grade 11 courses were added. The 2007/2008 school year found the student population increased to 850 students, with Grade 12 being added. In May 2009, Richmond Green had approximately 1000 students, with new students arriving regularly due to new housing developments in Richmond Hill and Markham. As of January 2014, the population of the school is over 1300.
- DECA Richmond Green Chapter, regional and provincial top finalists in business roleplay. (2015)
- Badminton Team - YRAA finalists in female singles and mixed doubles game types (2015)
- LEAD - Student Ambassadors with responsibilities in event planning
- Jack.org RGSS Chapter - a national youth led initiative focused on mental health
- Frostbite Esports - Nonprofit organization that is in charge of hosting gaming tournaments for high schools across North America
- Andrei Rogozine (2007-2011), gold medalist at the 2011 World Junior Figure Skating Championships.
- Gabrielle Daleman (2012-), figure skating competitor at the 2014 Winter Olympics.
- Denis Margalik (graduated 2016), international figure skater and Argentinian national champion.
- "York Region District School Board - Monthly Enrolment Report" (PDF). York Region District School Board. 12 December 2013. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- Li, David (January 20, 2013). "Richmond Hill's Rogozine skates to podium". yorkregion.com. Archived from the original on August 1, 2014.
- "Gabrielle Daleman". Canadian Olympic Committee. Archived from the original on April 2, 2014.
- Margalik, Denis (June 28, 2016). "Denis Margalik (@dmargalik) • Instagram". Instagram. Retrieved July 13, 2016.