Richmond Spiders men's lacrosse
|University||University of Richmond|
|Head coach||Dan Chemotti (since 2014 season)|
|Colors||Blue and Red|
|NCAA Tournament appearances|
|(3) - 2014, 2018, 2019|
|Conference Tournament championships|
|(3) - 2014, 2018, 2019|
|Conference regular season championships|
|(3) - 2015, 2017, 2018|
The Richmond Spiders men's lacrosse team represents the University of Richmond in Richmond, Virginia and competes in the Southern Conference of NCAA Division I. The Spiders play their home games at Robins Stadium and are currently coached by Dan Chemotti.
Starting a program
In September 2012, the University of Richmond announced a reconfiguration of its athletics program, discontinuing its men's soccer and men's track and field programs at the conclusion of the 2012–13 season and the elevation of men's lacrosse from club to varsity status at the NCAA Division I level starting in 2014. One month after revealing its plans to elevate men's lacrosse to varsity status, Richmond announced it had hired Dan Chemotti to lead the program. Chemotti, a former player and captain at Duke University, came to Richmond at the end of a five-year stint as an assistant at Loyola University, which won the Division I national championship in his final year on staff.
In February 2013, Richmond announced it would join the Atlantic Sun Conference as an associate member for men's lacrosse when the program began play in 2014. The 2014 season would be the first year of men's lacrosse sponsorship for the Atlantic Sun, with full members Jacksonville and Mercer being joined by associate members Furman, High Point, Richmond, and VMI.
Up and running
Richmond began play in the 2014 season, hosting No. 7 Virginia in front of 4,249 fans at Robins Stadium. Richmond held a halftime lead over the Cavaliers but ultimately fell, 13–12. Despite a strong showing against a high-quality opponent in their first-ever game, it took until the sixth game of the season for the Spiders to record the program's first victory, a 12–11 win over Vermont.
Richmond went on to finish the regular season with a record of 4–10, but with an Atlantic Sun record of 2–3, the Spiders earned the fourth seed in the Atlantic Sun tournament held at the campus of No. 1 seed Mercer. Richmond upset Mercer in the semifinals, 14–6, before defeating No. 2 seed High Point, 8–7, to earn the Atlantic Sun's automatic bid to the 2014 NCAA Division I Men's Lacrosse Championship. Richmond became the first first-year program in NCAA Division I history to qualify for the tournament.
The SoCon takes over
Just prior to the 2014 season, the Atlantic Sun Conference and the Southern Conference announced a partnership that would see the Southern Conference (SoCon) take over sponsorship of men's lacrosse as both Mercer and VMI joined the SoCon beginning in the 2014–15 academic year. With the addition of Bellarmine University, the 2015 SoCon season included seven programs.
The 2015 season saw the Spiders finish the regular season with a 10–4 record, with three of the four losses coming to nationally ranked teams. Richmond finished a perfect 6–0 in SoCon play, earning a conference championship and the top seed in the Southern Conference tournament, which was held at Robins Stadium. Richmond defeated Furman in the semifinals but fell to High Point in double overtime in the championship game, ending the Spiders' season.
2016 saw the Southern Conference add Air Force as its eighth men's lacrosse program. The Spiders once again finished the regular season with a 10–4 record, placing second in the SoCon with a 6–1 record. Richmond's lone conference defeat was a 9–8 loss to Air Force, which claimed the regular season conference championship with a perfect 7–0 record. In the Southern Conference tournament once again held at Robins Stadium, the Spiders defeated No. 3 seed High Point before falling once again to Air Force, 9–8 in overtime. 
Richmond's fourth year as a program in 2017 saw the team finish the regular season with a record of 11–3 including a victory over defending national championship North Carolina and each of its three losses (Duke, Virginia, and Air Force) coming by a single goal. The Spiders finished 6–1 in SoCon play, earning a share of the regular season championship as part of a three-way tie with Air Force and Furman. Per the Southern Conference tie breaking criteria, Air Force received the number one seed in the conference tournament, while Richmond received the second seed and Furman the third seed. At the tournament, once again held at Robins Stadium, the Spiders defeated Furman in the semifinals before falling once more to Air Force, 9–6, to finish the season with a 12–4 record. Just prior to the start of the conference tournament, Richmond announced it had signed head coach Dan Chemotti to a new five-year contract.
The following is a list of Richmond's results by season as a NCAA Division I program:
|Dan Chemotti (Atlantic Sun Conference) (2014–2015)|
|2014||Dan Chemotti||6–11||2–3||4th||NCAA Division I Play-In Round|
|Dan Chemotti (Southern Conference) (2015–Present)|
|2018||Dan Chemotti||11–6||6-1||T–1st||NCAA Division I First Round|
|2019||Dan Chemotti||10–7||5–2||T–3rd||NCAA Division I First Round|
Postseason invitational champion
- "Institutional Identity - Colors". Retrieved February 9, 2018.
- "Richmond Athletics Announces Sports Reconfiguration". Richmond Athletics. 21 September 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- "Chemotti Tabbed To Lead Men's Lacrosse Program". Richmond Athletics. 29 October 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- "Richmond Joins Atlantic Sun For Men's Lacrosse". Richmond Athletics. 11 February 2013. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- "Goldberg Nets Hat Trick As Men's Lacrosse Debuts". Richmond Athletics. 8 February 2014. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- "Spiders Record First Win, 12-11 Over Vermont". Richmond Athletics. 8 March 2014. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- "MLAX Heading To NCAA Tournament". Richmond Athletics. 3 May 2014. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- O'Connor, John (15 March 2016). "Spiders' lacrosse sprinted through growing pains". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- "Magical MLAX Ride Ends At Air Force, 13-5". Richmond Athletics. 7 May 2014. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- "SoCon, A-Sun Partner to Enhance Lacrosse". Southern Conference. 9 January 2014. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- "Men's Lacrosse Falls 9-8 In 2OT For SoCon Crown". Richmond Athletics. 2 May 2015. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- "Ferocious Spider Comeback Falls Just Short On Senior Day". Richmond Athletics. 23 April 2016. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- "Tien's Game-Winner Lifts Air Force to SoCon Title". Southern Conference. 7 May 2016. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- O'Connor, John (6 May 2017). "Air Force scoring spasms deck Richmond in SoCon men's lacrosse title game". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- O'Connor, John (3 May 2017). "UR lacrosse coach Dan Chemotti gets new five-year contract". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- "Hynes, Pugh Earn First Team All-American Honors". Richmond Athletics. 14 May 2017. Retrieved 15 May 2017.