Richmond Staples Mill Road station
Staples Mill Road Station from the parking lot
|Location||7519 Staples Mill Road
Dumbarton(Richmond), VA 23228
|Platforms||2 island platforms|
|Passengers (FY2015)||361,996 annually 0.94% (Amtrak)|
The Richmond Staples Mill Road Amtrak station lies in Dumbarton, Virginia, an unincorporated suburb of Richmond. It is located in Henrico County, about 5 miles (8 km) north of downtown Richmond. The station was designed by David Volkert and Associates, and was built in 1975 as a replacement for Main Street Station in downtown Richmond, which had been heavily damaged by flooding from Hurricane Agnes. The station has an indoor waiting room with restrooms, a snack bar, and a teller window.
Nearby modes of transportation
There are pedestrian sidewalks along Staples Mill Road, but the area surrounding the train station is a suburban sprawl area built in the 1970s. A designated line-up area for taxicabs is onsite next to the train station parking lot. GRTC bus service is available (via the #18 Henrico Shuttle map and the #27 Glenside Express map but you must walk east on Staples Mill Road a few blocks for each stop. There are a few rental car agencies within a mile of the station. The parking lot is only accessible from a single driveway, and payment for parking is through a set of self-service ticketing kiosks. Parking at the station is less than $10/day. The parking lot gets very crowded near train arrival and departure times. Plans have been in the works to expand it since at least 2014, but have not been carried out as of the beginning of 2016 .
As of 2017, the station is served by the following trains, all of which continue north to Washington Union Station and New York Pennsylvania Station (some continuing as far north as Boston's South Station):
- Northeast Regional - five daily services, some of which terminate at the station and some of which continue southeast to Newport News or Norfolk
- Silver Service - two daily services continuing south to Miami, Florida
- Carolinian - one daily service continuing southwest to Charlotte, North Carolina
- Palmetto - one daily service continuing south to Savannah, Georgia
Future transportation plans in Richmond
Henrico County has been pursuing the development of a new multi-mode transportation center, served by both rail and bus lines; under this proposal, Staples Mill Road Station would be the site of the new station and would receive significant improvements to the building.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2015, Commonwealth of Virginia" (PDF). Amtrak Government Affairs. November 2015. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- "RICHMOND - STAPLES MILL ROAD STATION, VA (RVR)". Great American Stations (Amtrak). Retrieved 27 June 2010.
- "Virginia Service" (PDF). Amtrak.com. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
Media related to Richmond Staples Mill Road station at Wikimedia Commons