"Rich in History, Focused on the Future"
Location of Richwood, Texas
|• Total||4.75 sq mi (12.31 km2)|
|• Land||4.47 sq mi (11.57 km2)|
|• Water||0.29 sq mi (0.75 km2)|
|Elevation||16 ft (5 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||892.77/sq mi (344.74/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1380437|
Richwood is located in south-central Brazoria County at  It is bordered to the southwest by Oyster Creek, which separates it from the cities of Lake Jackson and Clute. The city extends to the northeast along Bastrop Bayou. Angleton, the Brazoria County seat, is 8 miles (13 km) to the north, and Freeport on the Gulf of Mexico is 8 miles (13 km) to the south.(29.061512, -95.412597).
According to the United States Census Bureau, Richwood has a total area of 3.1 square miles (8.1 km2), of which 3.1 square miles (8.0 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km2), or 1.30%, is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,012 people, 1,138 households, and 825 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,922.5 people per square mile (740.7/km2). There were 1,254 housing units at an average density of 800.4/sq mi (308.4/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 78.19% White, 8.50% African American, 0.37% Native American, 0.50% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 9.26% from other races, and 3.12% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 23.37% of the population.
There were 1,138 households, out of which 40.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.2% were married couples living together, 9.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.5% were non-families. 22.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 2.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.65 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the city, the population was spread out, with 28.8% under the age of 18, 12.8% from 18 to 24, 31.9% from 25 to 44, 20.6% from 45 to 64, and 6.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females, there were 99.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $45,000, and the median income for a family was $54,280. Males had a median income of $39,911 versus $22,773 for females. The per capita income for the city was $19,181. About 9.1% of families and 10.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.0% of those under age 18 and 1.7% of those age 65 or over.
- Most areas are zoned to Polk Elementary School while some are zoned to Griffith Elementary School (both PK-4).
- Those zoned to Polk and Griffith are zoned to Clute Intermediate School (grades 5-8) and Brazoswood High School (grades 9-12).
Additionally it is in the Brazoria County Library System.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 7, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Richwood city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved April 16, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Current Richwood Zoning Map" (PDF). Richwood. Retrieved 2020-06-17. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) - Compare the indicated residential areas to BISD zoning maps.
- "Current elementary boundary maps". Brazosport Independent School District. Retrieved 2020-06-17. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) - Compare to a map of the Richwood city limits. Note new zoning map for 2021 does not change relevant boundaries for Richwood.
- "Feeder Patterns" (PDF). Brazosport Independent School District. Retrieved 2020-06-17. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Brazosport College Map" (PDF). Brazoria County Appraisal District. Retrieved 2020-06-18. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Texas Education Code Sec. 130.170. BRAZOSPORT COLLEGE DISTRICT SERVICE AREA.