Rick Norwood (born August 4, 1942) is an American publisher, mathematician, comics historian and short story author.
Born in Franklin, Louisiana, Norwood attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he was one of four writer-editors of the early underground comic God Comics, along with Bill Osten, Durk Pearson and Al Kuhfeld. He published many letters in silver age DC and Marvel Comics and, with the permission of DC editor Julius Schwartz, wrote and published a fanzine story about the DC superhero Doctor Midnight.
In 1979, Norwood received his Ph.D. in mathematics from the University of Southwestern Louisiana. He was a member of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey in 1980-81 and is currently a professor of mathematics at East Tennessee State University in Johnson City, Tennessee.
He has also written articles, stories and verse. He is the film/TV reviewer for SF Site, a webzine, and he provided commentary for the Filmation Flash Gordon, Prince Valiant and Defenders of the Earth DVDs. His science fiction stories have appeared in Twilight Zone Magazine, Black Gate, Analog Science Fiction and The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction. He has edited the Captain Easy and Buz Sawyer books for Fantagraphics.
Norwood is the founder and editor of the small press publishing house Manuscript Press, launched in 1979 to make available a previously unpublished Hal Clement novel, Left of Africa. For Manuscript Press, he has edited comic strip reprints, including Prince Valiant: An American Epic and Buz Sawyer: The War in the Pacific. He is currently editor of the long-running independent comic book Comics Revue. For Fantagraphics Books, he edits the series of complete Captain Easy Sunday comic strips.
Books edited for Manuscript Press
- Left of Africa, by Hal Clement
- Archipelago, by R. A. Lafferty
- Prince Valiant, an American Epic, by Hal Foster
- A Steve Canyon Companion, by Carl Horak
- The Magic Talisman, a Rick Brant Science Adventure, by John Blaine
- A Prince Valiant Companion, by Hal Foster, Carl Horak, Todd Goldberg; production design by Don Markstein
- Alley Oop, Book #4, by V. T. Hamlin
- Buz Sawyer: The War in the Pacific
- Buz Sawyer: Sultry's Tiger
- Flash Gordon: Star over Atlantis
- Tullus -- Adventures of a Christian Boy in Roman Times
|Title||Year||First published in||Reprinted/collected in|
|Love||2013||Analog 133(7&8) (Jul–Aug 2013)|