Rick Priestley, with Bryan Ansell and Richard Halliwell, designed the miniatures game Warhammer Fantasy Battle for Games Workshop.:47 The idea of the Black Library evolved under the guidance of Priestley, Andy Jones, and Marc Gascoigne into the magazine Inferno! which debuted in July 1997.:50 Priestley also designed the large-scale combat game Warmaster (2000).:50
Rick left Games Workshop in November 2010, complaining that the corporate culture had grown too focused on sales and no longer cared about innovation in game design. He is now co-owner of Warlord Games, and also does consulting work on a freelance basis. He is an associate at River Horse Games.
At the end of 2011 he was elected to the committee of the Society of Ancients. In December 2012 he announced plans to launch a new science fiction game The Gates of Antares with an initial attempt at funding raised through Kickstarter. Gates of Antares is now being released through Warlord Games
Priestley worked extensively for Games Workshop. He is credited with authoring or co-authoring the following games:
- Warhammer Fantasy Battle (with Bryan Ansell and Richard Halliwell)
- Warhammer Ancient Battles (with Jervis Johnson, Alan and Michael Perry)
- Warhammer 40,000 (with Andy Chambers, Jervis Johnson and Gavin Thorpe)
- Necromunda (with Andy Chambers and Jervis Johnson)
- Warmaster (with Alessio Cavatore and Stephan Hess)
- Warmaster Ancients
- The Alamo: Victory or Death
- The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game (with Alessio Cavatore)
Since joining Warlord Games, he has authored or co-authored the following games:
- Black Powder (with Jervis Johnson and John Stallard)
- Hail Caesar
- Bolt Action (With Alessio Cavatore)
- Beyond the Gates of Antares
- Slingshot, No279, Nov 2011, p1
- Shannon Appelcline (2011). Designers & Dragons. Mongoose Publishing. ISBN 978-1-907702-58-7.
- Riverhorse homepage. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- "Gates of Antares". Toyz N The Hood. Retrieved 2012-12-18.
- "Warhammer Fantasy Battle". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Warhammer Ancient Battles". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "1644". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Warhammer 40,000". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Necromunda". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Warmaster". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Warmaster Ancients". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "The Alamo - Victory or Death". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2011-03-26.
- "Black Powder". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- "Hail Caesar". BoardGameGeek. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
|This article about a writer or poet from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|