Rick Smith (American football executive)
|Position:||Executive Vice President of Football Operations|
|High school:||Dayton (OH) Meadowdale|
|Career highlights and awards|
Rick Smith is the Executive Vice President of Football Operations of the Houston Texans of the National Football League (NFL). From 2006 to 2017, he served as the Texans' General Manager. He became the team's Executive Vice President of Football Operations in 2012. He oversaw all football-related operations and the player acquisition process as the Texans' Executive Vice President of Football Operations and General Manager. Named general manager by owner Bob McNair on June 5, 2006, Smith’s appointment made him the youngest general manager in the NFL at 36.
On December 31, 2017, Smith announced that he was taking a leave of absence to be with his wife, who has breast cancer. On January 1, 2018, it was also reported that he would be gone for a year and that the Texans will hire a new general manager to take his place. However, Smith will retain his position as the team's Executive Vice President of Football Operations.
Smith played for the Purdue Boilermakers as a strong safety from 1988 to 1991. He graduated from that institution, where he served as a coach. After this stint, he coached for a month at Texas Christian University before going to the NFL.
He became the General Manager of the Houston Texans succeeding Charley Casserly in that role. According to the Texans website, he is responsible for all aspects of football operations, salary cap management and budgeting. He had been with the Denver Broncos organization as a coach then in the front office. In 2016, he was given a contract extension through 2020.
Smith is an executive board member of Pro-Vision, a charter school and non-profit organization in Houston that provides educational services to children.
- Barhsop, Sarah and Schefter, Adam (December 31, 2017). "Texans GM Rick Smith taking extended family medical leave". espn.com. Retrieved January 1, 2018.
- McClain, John (January 1, 2018). "Smith's leave to last a year; Texans will hire new GM". houstonchronicle.com. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- McMillen, Gabrielle. "Rick Smith says he intends to come back to Texans". sportingnews.com. Retrieved January 1, 2018.
- Texans ink GM Rick Smith through 2012
- "Pro-Vision, Inc. Board". Pro-Vision. Archived from the original on 2015-12-22. Retrieved 2015-12-16.
- "Rick Smith" at www.houstontexans.com. Retrieved December 16, 2015.