August 28, 1984 |
Tacoma, Washington, United States
|Other names||The Horror|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st 2 lb)|
|Division||Welterweight (170 lb)|
|Reach||71 in (180 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Glendale, Arizona, United States|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||Southern Oregon University|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Rick Thomas Story (born August 28, 1984) is an American mixed martial artist currently signed to the Ultimate Fighting Championship where he competes as a Welterweight. As of June 8, 2015, Story is #11 in official UFC Welterweight rankings. Story is known for his notable wins over Jake Ellenberger, Thiago Alves, and former UFC Welterweight Champion Johny Hendricks.
Story was born in Tacoma, Washington and, at the age of three, his parents divorced. Story grew up in Spanaway, Washington with his grandmother and his older sister, Elizabeth. Story began wrestling when he was around 12 years old and also began watching UFC fights. Story attended Bethel High School in Spanaway, Washington where he was a standout in both wrestling and football. Story continued his wrestling career at Southern Oregon University where he was a runner-up in the 2006 NAIA National Championships, and began learning submission grappling from a friend during his sophomore year. After graduating with a degree in health education, Story embarked on a career in mixed martial arts.
Mixed martial arts career
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Story had his second UFC fight at UFC 103 after stepping in for Paul Daley against debuting Brian Foster. Story defeated Foster via arm-triangle choke submission at 1:09 of round two and earned Submission of the Night and Fight of the Night honors.
In January 2010, he was resigned to a new four fight deal with the UFC. His first fight with the brand new contract was against Englishman, Nick Osipczak at UFC 112, the UFC's first trip to Abu Dhabi. Story won the fight via controversial split decision.
After his win over Hendricks, Story called out former number one contender, Thiago Alves. Alves accepted the fight, which took place on May 28, 2011 at UFC 130. Story outworked Alves with his grappling and ring control for the majority of the fight. By the 3rd round, Alves began to connect with Story repeatedly but it wasn't enough. Story won via unanimous decision.
Story was expected to face Nate Marquardt at on June 26, 2011 at UFC on Versus 4, replacing an injured Anthony Johnson. Marquardt, however, pulled out of the fight the day of the weigh-ins and Story instead faced Charlie Brenneman. Story lost in a huge upset via unanimous decision.
Story lost to Martin Kampmann via split decision on November 19, 2011 at UFC 139. Dana White incorrectly reported at the post fight press conference that a judge's scores had been tabulated incorrectly and should have been announced as unanimous decision in favor of Kampmann. According to the California State Athletic Commission's website and confirmed by MMADecisions.com, judge Susan Thomas-Gitlin in fact scored the fight in favor of Story.
Story was expected to face Rich Attonito on June 22, 2012 at UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida. However, Attonito was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Papy Abedi. Abedi himself was also forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by promotional newcomer Brock Jardine. Story won the fight via unanimous decision.
Story was expected to face Sean Pierson on March 16, 2013 at UFC 158. However, Pierson was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Quinn Mulhern. Story defeated Mulhern in the first round via TKO after landing a flurry of punches.
Story faced Mike Pyle on May 25, 2013 at UFC 160, replacing an injured Gunnar Nelson. He lost the fight via controversial split decision despite controlling most of the action and dropping Pyle with punches in the first round.
Story was expected to face John Howard at UFC Fight Night 45 on July 16, 2014. However, Howard was forced out of the bout due to injury and was replaced by returning veteran Leonardo Mafra. Story defeated Mafra via submission in the second round.
Story was expected to face Erick Silva on June 27, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 70. However, Silva was removed from the card on June 19, after visa issues restricted his entry to the United States. In turn, Story was removed from the card as well. The bout with Story was rescheduled and was expected to take place on August 23, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 74. Subsequently, Story pulled out of the bout on August 11 citing injury and was replaced by Neil Magny.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championships
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|26 matches||18 wins||8 losses|
|Win||18–8||Gunnar Nelson||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Nelson vs. Story||October 4, 2014||5||5:00||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||17–8||Leonardo Mafra||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC Fight Night: Cerrone vs. Miller||July 16, 2014||2||2:12||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||16–8||Kelvin Gastelum||Decision (split)||UFC 171||March 15, 2014||3||5:00||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Win||16–7||Brian Ebersole||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 167||November 16, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||15–7||Mike Pyle||Decision (split)||UFC 160||May 25, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||15–6||Quinn Mulhern||TKO (punches)||UFC 158||March 16, 2013||1||3:05||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Loss||14–6||Demian Maia||Submission (neck crank)||UFC 153||October 13, 2012||1||2:30||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||14–5||Brock Jardine||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida||June 22, 2012||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||13–5||Martin Kampmann||Decision (split)||UFC 139||November 19, 2011||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Loss||13–4||Charlie Brenneman||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Live: Kongo vs. Barry||June 26, 2011||3||5:00||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||13–3||Thiago Alves||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 130||May 28, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–3||Johny Hendricks||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale||December 4, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||11–3||Dustin Hazelett||TKO (punches)||UFC 117||August 7, 2010||2||1:15||Oakland, California, United States|
|Win||10–3||Nick Osipczak||Decision (split)||UFC 112||April 10, 2010||3||5:00||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates|
|Win||9–3||Jesse Lennox||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Maynard vs. Diaz||January 11, 2010||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Win||8–3||Brian Foster||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC 103||September 19, 2009||2||1:09||Dallas, Texas, United States||Fight of the Night; Submission of the Night.|
|Loss||7–3||John Hathaway||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 99||June 13, 2009||3||5:00||Cologne, Germany|
|Win||7–2||Brandon Melendez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||EWC: Vancouver||September 6, 2008||1||2:17||Ridgefield, Washington, United States||Defended the Elite Warriors Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||6–2||Wesley Welch||KO (punch)||Carnage at the Creek 3||August 22, 2008||1||N/A||Shelton, Washington, United States|
|Win||5–2||Jake Ellenberger||Decision (unanimous)||SportFight 23||June 20, 2008||3||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Win||4–2||Ryan Healy||Decision (unanimous)||EWC: May Massacre||May 10, 2008||5||5:00||Salem, Oregon, United States||Won the Elite Warriors Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||3–2||James Dodge||Submission (rear-naked choke)||EWC: Welterweight War||February 23, 2008||1||3:37||Salem, Oregon, United States|
|Win||2–2||Jake Paul||TKO (punches)||EWC: Capital Invasion||January 12, 2008||2||1:03||Salem, Oregon, United States|
|Loss||1–2||Nathan Coy||Decision (unanimous)||SportFight 21: Seasons Beatings||December 22, 2007||3||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Win||1–1||Julio Paulino||Decision (unanimous)||AFC 41: Thankful Throwdowns||November 15, 2007||3||5:00||Anchorage, Alaska, United States|
|Loss||0–1||Mario Miranda||Decision (unanimous)||Conquest of the Cage||November 6, 2007||3||5:00||Airway Heights, Washington, United States|
- Morgan, John (September 7, 2009). "Welterweight Rick Story agrees to meet Brian Foster at UFC 103 in Dallas". MMAJunkie. Retrieved September 7, 2009.
- "Welterweights Dustin Hazelett and Rick Story agree to meet at UFC 117 in August". mmajunkie.com. 2010-05-26.
- "Rick Story vs Johny Hendricks tapped for The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale main card". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved September 11, 2010.
- "Thiago Alves Returns to UFC in May, Expected to Face Rick Story". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved December 24, 2010.
- "Anthony Johnson out, Rick Story steps in to face Nate Marquardt at UFC on Versus 4". mmajunkie.com. June 2, 2011.
- "Marquardt scratched from UFC on Versus 4; Barry-Kongo now main, Story gets Brenneman". MMAJunkie.com. 2011-06-25.
- "Martin Kampmann vs. Rick Story on tap for UFC 139 in San Jose". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- Brian Hemminger. "UFC 139 results recap: Martin Kampmann vs Rick Story fight review and analysis". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2011-11-20.
- Staff. "UFC 139: Marin Kampmann defeats Rick Story". mmadecisions.com. Retrieved 2011-11-20.
- "Rick Story vs Rich Attonito added to UFC on FX 4 fight card in Atlantic City". mmamania.com. March 21, 2012.
- "Rick Story Gets New UFC on FX 4 Opponent". mmaweekly.com. May 8, 2012. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- "Rick Story Gets Third UFC on FX 4 Opponent". mmaweekly.com. May 30, 2012. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "Rick Story says he's fighting Demian Maia at UFC 153 in Rio de Janeiro". mmajunkie.com. 31 July 2012.
- "Sean Pierson vs. Rick Story added to UFC 158 in Montreal". MMAjunkie.com. January 8, 2013.
- Sousa, Jonas (2013-02-05). "Pierson out; Quinn Mulhern faces Rick Story at UFC 158". imperiomma.com. Retrieved 2013-02-05.
- Staff (April 10, 2013). "Rick Story replaces Gunnar Nelson, meets Mike Pyle at UFC 160". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- Staff (September 8, 2013). "Brian Ebersole meets Rick Story at UFC 167 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved September 8, 2013.
- MMAJunkie.com Staff (June 18, 2014). "Leonardo Mafra replaces John Howard at UFC Fight Night 45". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved June 23, 2014.
- Marc Raimondi (2014-07-16). "Rick Story dominates returning Leonardo Mafra, wins by submission". msn.foxsports.com. Retrieved 2014-07-16.
- Matt Erickson (2014-08-07). "Gunnar Nelson vs. Rick Story set for UFC Fight Night 53 main event in Stockholm". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-08-07.
- Ariel Helwani (8 Oct 2014). "Rick Story suffered broken ankle en route to defeating Gunnar Nelson". mmafighting.com.
- Damon Martin (2014-10-04). "Rick Story upsets undefeated prospect Gunnar Nelson in Sweden". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2014-10-04.
- Sean Bio (2015-04-22). "Rick Story vs. Erick Silva headlines The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 4 Finale in Sao Paulo". cagepages.com. Retrieved 2015-04-22.
- Guilherme Cruz (2015-06-19). "Visa issues forces changes at UFC Fight Night 70, UFC 190". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-06-19.
- Ariel Helwani (2015-06-24). "Rick Story vs. Erick Silva to serve as UFC Saskatoon co-main event; other fights added to card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-06-24.
- Staff (2015-08-11). "Neil Magny in for injured Rick Story, faces Erick Silva at UFC Fight Night 74". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-08-11.