Ricky (2016 film)
|Directed by||Rishab Shetty|
|Produced by||S. V. Babu|
|Screenplay by||Rishab Shetty|
|Story by||Rishab Shetty|
|Music by||Arjun Janya|
|Edited by||N. M. Vishwa|
S. V. Productions
|Distributed by||Bahaar Films|
Ricky is a 2016 Indian Kannada thriller film written and directed by Rishab Shetty in his directorial debut, and produced by S. V. Babu. It stars Rakshit Shetty and Haripriya in the lead roles. The supporting cast features Achyuth Kumar and Ravi Kale. The film deals with the prevalence of naxalism in India, with a love story in the backdrop.
- Rakshit Shetty as Radhakrishna "Ricky"
- Haripriya as Radha
- Achyuth Kumar
- Ravi Kale
- Pramod Shetty
- Veena Sunder
- Sadhu Kokila
- Dinesh Mangaluru
- Raghu Pandaveshwar
Development and casting
Rishab Shetty, who had earlier starred in Rakshit Shetty's 2014 film Ulidavaru Kandanthe, turned director for the first time with Ricky. Shetty had conceived the story in 2009 inspired from an incident that occurred in Kundapur near his hometown Kerady in Karnataka, as an aspiring film director. He said, "I was born and brought in Kerady, a place near Kundapura, which is surrounded with mountains. It was a Naxal-affected area and I used to hear several stories from people around me, which formed the backdrop of the story" and added, "I have also explored an incident about Special Economic Zones, which I picked up from a programme by the central government".
Shetty had initially wanted Diganth to play the lead role. However, on watching Rakshit Shetty's 2010 Tughlaq, he decided to have him play the role. He planned to signing Hariprriya after being impressed by her performance in the 2014 film Ugramm. It was revealed in February 2014 that Kishore and Achyuth Kumar were signed to play supporting roles. Ravi Kale was then was cast to play a pivotal role as well.
It was revealed by the official Twitter handle of the film that shooting commenced on 1 September 2014, also revealing the first look poster of the film. Filming began in Karkala, Udupi district. Majority of the filming took place in Udupi and Dakshina Kannada. Rakshit Shetty confirmed that 90 percent of the filming was completed by 12 October, in a span of 42 days, with a song sequence to be shot in Gujarat. The director revealed that songs and fight sequences were to be shot in Bengaluru. A house worth ₹ 1 million was constructed in the area for filming in Kalavaru village at the Western Ghats region, to resemble the house of an agriculturist that was demolished previously, after orders from a court.
Setting to complete filming in a total of 99 days, a total of 46 days was done in the deep forests of Karkala, in the Udupi district of Karnataka. Additionally, filming took place for four days in Bangalore, nine days in Melkote, and 12 days in areas surrounding the Dal Lake of Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir. Filming completed in June 2015 after a total of 69 days.
|Soundtrack album by Arjun Janya|
|Released||31 December 2015|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
Arjun Janya composed the film's background and scored for its soundtrack. Lyrics for the soundtrack was penned by K. Kalyan, Kaviraj and Jayant Kaikini. The soundtrack album consists of five tracks. It was released on 31 December 2015 in Bangalore.
|1.||"O Baby"||K. Kalyan||Tippu, Anuradha Bhat||3:12|
|2.||"Jeeva Neenu"||K. Kalyan||Rajesh Krishnan||4:22|
|3.||"Harusha Taaladhe"||Kaviraj||Vijay Prakash||4:16|
|4.||"Malage Malage"||Jayant Kaikini||Karthik, Ankitha Kundu||3:36|
|5.||"Yele Mareyali"||Jayant Kaikini||Naveen Sajju||3:28|
The film was given a "U/A" (Parental Guidance) certificate by the Regional Censor Board in early January 2016. Including a "couple of changes", the makers were asked to mute seven dialogues. Immediately afterwards, the makers, initially on having planned to release the film theatrically on 22 January, decided to release it on 29 January, citing "theatre problems", with many other films releasing on 22 January. However, as initially planned, it was released on 22 January.
- Sampath, Parinatha (23 February 2014). "Rakshit Shetty's next with Naxalism". The Times of India. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "Rakshit Shetty to direct Sudeep". The Times of India. 21 July 2014. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- Sharadhaa, A. (16 January 2015). "Making Ricky". The New Indian Express. Archived from the original on 17 January 2016. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
- Sharadhaa, A. "Hariprriya, Rakshit Eyeing a Big Break". The New Indian Express. Archived from the original on 24 January 2016. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Shooting begins". 1 September 2014. Archived from the original on 17 January 2016. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "Demolition Act for Film Rikki". The Indian Express. 14 October 2014. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "Rikki has a roaring wrap-up party". The Times of India. 21 October 2014. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Khajane, Muralidhara (24 January 2016). "Ricky director unfazed by risky path". The Hindu. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Ricky complete shoot". Indiaglitz. 15 June 2015. Archived from the original on 17 January 2016. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
- Sharadhaa, A. "Ricky by Rishab Shetty Gets U/A, Release Date Pushed to January 29". The New Indian Express. Archived from the original on 16 January 2016. Retrieved 20 January 2016.