October 24, 1978 |
Provo, Utah, U.S.
|Nationality||American (United States)|
|Education||Rhode Island School of Design, Massachusetts College of Art, Utah Valley University|
Ricky Allman (born October 24, 1978) is an American painter and professor born in Provo, Utah. Raised in Utah, his work reflects many aspects of his upbringing, including the geographical environment, mountainous landscapes, and Mormon architecture.
Allman received an AS from Utah Valley State College, a BFA from the Massachusetts College of Art and an MFA from Rhode Island School of Design in 2007, where he was named by Wallpaper* Magazine as one of the top 110 graduates of 2007 to watch.
Frequently painting on themes of the apocalypse stemming from Mormon theology, and Mormon fundamentalist extremists such as Warren Jeffs and Dan Lafferty, Allman's imagery evokes temple architecture as well as Utah-inspired mountainous landscapes. Allman's work raises questions about various contemporary and historical notions of the apocalypse and the source and nature of fundamentalism. Often contrasting organic forms with geometric structures, he uses bright colors with dark and pale shades to further heighten the contrast and drama in the work, his work is not typical of contemporary Mormon or Utah art, though much of it alludes to the architecture of the LDS church. Allman creates complex, detailed landscapes which evoke a sense of collage and surreal imagery, which reference modernist architecture and landscape traditions.
He has shown his work at various galleries throughout the country, in cities including New York, Denver, Los Angeles and Miami. Allman is currently Associate Professor of Painting and Drawing at University of Missouri–Kansas City.
- Renamed Utah Valley University in 2008.
- Thorson, Alice (February 2009). "Art Review: Ricky Allman, Grant Miller, Linnea Spransy at the Byron Cohen Gallery". The Kansas City Star.
- Lowrance, Christopher (January 28, 2009). "Ironic Take on Excess". Review, Inc. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- Mizota, Sharon (July 16, 2012). "Review: Ricky Allman upends nature of things at Marine Contemporary". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City Department of Art and Art History
- Allman's Official Website
- Wallpaper Profile
- Ricky Allman at David B. Smith Gallery
- Ricky Allman at Marine Contemporary