Henderson in April 2017
|Full name||Ricky John Henderson|
|Date of birth||11 September 1988|
|Original team(s)||Trentham (MCDFL)|
|Draft||No. 10, 2008 rookie draft|
|Debut||Round 5, 2010, Adelaide
vs. Western Bulldogs, at Etihad Stadium
|Height||188 cm (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||91 kg (14 st 5 lb; 201 lb)|
|Position(s)||Midfielder / Defender|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of round 4, 2017.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Ricky John Henderson (born 11 September 1988) is an Australian rules footballer playing for the Hawthorn Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). He previously played for the Adelaide Football Club from 2009 to 2016. Henderson was Adelaide's first selection in the 2008 rookie draft, taken at pick 10.
At the time of his drafting, Henderson had played only three games of Australian rules football in the previous four years, having played basketball locally in Ballarat. Before being drafted by Adelaide, Henderson supported Geelong.
Henderson made his debut for Adelaide in round 5, 2010 against the Western Bulldogs, injuring his hamstring in that game, but was recalled to the side in round 12. He went on to play out the season, kicking 13 goals in 12 games playing as a forward. At the end of the season he was promoted to the senior list. Henderson played 18 games in 2011 despite battling a hip injury late in the season. He played mainly on the wing, impressing with his pace, goalkicking and ability to create turnovers, and gathering 28 disposals against the Western Bulldogs in round 13.
In 2012 Henderson played 12 matches despite missing a period of the season with an ankle injury. He played mainly on the wing and in the backline, but kicked six goals in a win over Port Adelaide in round 15, playing forward in the absence of Taylor Walker, Kurt Tippett and Shaun McKernan. He played 14 games in 2013, establishing himself in the Crows' side, particularly in defence, before a knee injury ended his season.
Henderson broke his leg in a training session in February 2014, ruling him out for most of the 2014 season. He returned in round 16 against Greater Western Sydney and played the last eight matches of the season, averaging 17 disposals. He also signed a two-year contract extension keeping him at the club until the end of 2017. Henderson played 17 games in 2015 and averaged a career-best 19 possessions, including being a key contributor to Adelaide's elimination final win with 29 possessions. At the conclusion of the 2016 season, he was delisted by Adelaide. He subsequently joined Hawthorn as a delisted free agent.
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2016 season
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- "Ricky Henderson". Hawthorn Football Club. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- Waterworth, Ben. "Ricky Henderson joins Hawthorn as a delisted free agent ahead of 2017 AFL season". Fox Footy. News Corporation. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Ricky Henderson joins Hawthorn as a delisted free agent, Michael Barlow joins Gold Coast". Herald Sun. News Corporation. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "AFL Rookie Draft held at the end of Season 2008". FootyWire.com.
- Capel, Andrew (22 December 2008). "Whole new ball game for Crow Ricky Henderson". Herald Sun.
- Gill, Katrina (23 June 2010). "US basketball ripe for the picking". AFC.com.au. Adelaide Football Club. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Adelaide Crows put faith in rookies". news.com.au. 23 June 2010. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Ricky Henderson - AFC.com.au". AFC.com.au. Adelaide Football Club.
- "Crows demolish Port Adelaide in Showdown". ABC.net.au. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 7 July 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- Phelan, Jennifer (17 February 2014). "Crow Ricky Henderson to miss most of 2014". AFL.com.au. Australian Football League. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Crows re-sign Ricky Henderson until end of 2017". AFL.com.au. Australian Football League. 24 July 2014. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- Gaskin, Lee (31 October 2016). "Crows chop another two, confirm new deals for trio". AFL.com.au. Bigpond. Retrieved 31 October 2016.
- Ryan, Peter (8 November 2016). "Hawks signs ex-Crow as delisted free agent". AFL.com.au. Bigpond. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- "Ricky Henderson Stats". AFL Tables. Retrieved 6 November 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ricky Henderson.|
- Ricky Henderson's profile on the official website of the Hawthorn Football Club
- Ricky Henderson's statistics from AFL Tables
|This Australian rules football biography of a person born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|