10 April 1990 |
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
|Height||182 cm (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||94 kg (14 st 11 lb)|
|As of 2 March 2017
Ricky Leutele (born 10 April 1990) is an Australian rugby league footballer who currently plays for the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks of the National Rugby League. A Samoan international representative, Leutele primarily plays centre.
Born in Brisbane, Queensland, Leutele is of Samoan descent. Leutele played his junior football for Logan Brothers before being signed by the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks. Leutele played for the Sharks Toyota Cup team in 2009 and 2010, scoring 5 tries in 38 games before moving on to the Sharks' NSW Cup reserve-grade team in 2011.
In Round 24 of the 2010 NRL season, Leutele made his NRL debut for the Sharks against the Melbourne Storm at centre in the Sharks 24-4 loss at AAMI Park. This was the only match Leutele played in his debut year.
In Round 22 against the Gold Coast Titans, Leutele scored his first NRL try in the Sharks 20-16 loss at Remondis Stadium. At the end of the season, he was named at centre in the 2011 NSW Cup Team of the Year. Leutele played in 2 matches and scored a first grade try.
In July 2012, Leutele played 3 games in 6 days, playing for the NSW Residents on 4 July, the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks NSW Cup team on 7 July and then the Sharks' NRL team on 9 July. On 12 September 2012 Leutele was again named at centre in the 2012 NSW Cup Team of the Year. Leutele played in 7 matches and scored 4 tries for the Sharks in the 2012 NRL season.
In February 2014, Leutele was selected for the Sharks inaugural 2014 Auckland Nines squad. On 3 May 2014, Leutele played for Samoa in the 2014 Pacific Rugby League International against Fiji at centre in Samoa's 32-16 win. Leutele finished off the season with him playing in 23 matches and scoring 2 tries. On 7 October 2014, Leutele was named in the Samoa 24-man squad for the 2014 Four Nations. Leutele played in one match for Samoa in the tournament.
On 31 January and 1 February, Leutele played for the Sharks 2015 NRL Auckland Nines. On 2 May, he played for Samoa in their Polynesian Cup clash with Pacific rivals Tonga, playing at centre in Samoa's 18-16 win at Cbus Super Stadium. On 18 August, he extended his contract with Sharks for a further 3-years to the end of the 2018 season. He finished off the 2015 season having played in 23 matches and scoring 7 tries for the Sharks.
On 28 January 2016, Leutele was named in the Sharks 2016 Auckland Nines squad. On 7 May 2016, Leutele played for Samoa in the 2016 Polynesian Cup against Tonga, where he played at centre and scored a try in the 18-6 win at Parramatta Stadium. On October 2nd he played in the Sharks first ever premiership victory, famously making the final tackle on Storm winger Marika Koroibete after the siren had sounded. The Sharks won the game 14-12.
- "Ricky Leutele - Career Stats & Summary". Rugby League Project. Retrieved 2015-12-18.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20101129064159/http://rleague.com/db/player/l/leutele_ricky/index.php. Archived from the original on 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 September 2012. Missing or empty
- "Melbourne Storm Whips Cronulla 24-4". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 2015-12-18.
- "Gold Coast Titans Beat Cronulla Sharks 20-6". Couriermail.com.au. Retrieved 2015-12-18.
- "Cronulla Sharks Centre Ricky Leutele Plays Three Games in Five Days". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 2015-12-18.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20121010140055/http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=63751&title=2012-nswrlcomau-vb-nsw-cup-team-of-the-year---announcement. Archived from the original on 10 October 2012. Retrieved 16 June 2015. Missing or empty
- "Tupou and Leutele re-sign with the Sharks". Zero Tackle. 2013-06-25. Retrieved 2015-12-18.
- "Squads For Auckland Nines". Rugby League Week. 2014-02-14. Retrieved 2015-12-18.
- "Gutsy Samoa Secures Place in Four Nations Tournament". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 2015-12-18.
- "Toa Samoa name Four Nations squad". NRL.com. Retrieved 2015-12-18.
- "SHARKS NAME 2015 NINES SQUAD". Rugby League Week. 2015-01-23. Retrieved 2015-12-18.
- "Sam Kasiano Try Saving Tackle on Jorge Taufua Secures Pacific Test Win for Samoa Against Tonga". Foxsports.com.au. Retrieved 2015-12-18.
- "Ricky Leutele Signs Three Year Contract with Sharks Securing His NRL Future". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 2015-12-18.
- "Custom Match List". Rugby League Project. 2015-10-25. Retrieved 2015-12-21.
- "Cronulla Sharks name 2016 Nines squad". Rugby League Week. 2016-01-29. Retrieved 2016-02-04.