Newman warming up for Brentford in 2006.
|Full name||Richard Adrian Newman|
|Date of birth||5 August 1970|
|Place of birth||Guildford, England|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Playing position||Defensive midfielder|
|1992||→ Maidstone United (loan)||10||(1)|
|2000||→ Reading (loan)||7||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Richard Adrian "Ricky" Newman (born 5 August 1970 in Guildford, Surrey) is an English former professional footballer who last played as a defensive midfielder for Surrey Intermediate League side Cranleigh.
His career has spanned over 13 years, having started with Crystal Palace in 1992. He left Palace in 1995 when he joined Millwall, staying with the club until 2000 when he left for Reading on a free transfer having spent time at the club on loan during the previous season. After being released by Reading following the 2004-05 season he moved to Brentford on 10 June 2005 reuniting with Martin Allen who he worked under during Allen's time as assistant manager at Reading.
Newman was released by Brentford on 17 May 2006 after one season with the club. He went on to join Aldershot Town on 1 August 2006 and was given a player-coach role at the end of the 2007–08 season, where his main role was to oversee reserve team operations. Due to financial constraints he was released, with reluctance, by manager Gary Waddock at the end of the 2008-09 season.
Ricky currently plays for Cranleigh after leaving Aldershot.
- Division 1 (II): 1994
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2009). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2009–10. Mainstream Publishing. ISBN 978-1-84596-474-0.
- "Royals sign Newman". Sky Sports. Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- "Brentford pounce to sign Newman". BBC. Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- "Aldershot confirm Newman capture". BBC. Retrieved 10 October 2012.
- "Waddock sad to see Newman go". BBC. Retrieved 10 October 2012.