San Remo, Victoria, Australia
Ricky Swallow is an Australian sculptor (born in San Remo, Victoria in 1974), who lives and works in Los Angeles. He creates detailed pieces and installations in a variety of media, often utilising objects of everyday life as well as the body (bones etc.). He first came to prominence in Australia when he won the Contempora 5 Prize in Melbourne at the age of 25 in 1999. He was later selected to be the Australian representative at the 2005 Venice Biennale with This Time Another Year. Swallow is well known for works described as models, miniatures, replicas, copies, dioramas, homages, mementos, monuments and simulacra.
Quotes about works
- "If our civilisation were turned upside down and subsequently this gallery were excavated, what would the remnants reveal? Would the forms prove that the subject was evolving, devolving or just coming around again?" (Swallow on Nicholson 1999a)
- Tusk 2007
- History of holding 2007
- Salad days 2005
- Flying on the ground is wrong 2006
- Bowman’s record 2008
- Caravan 2008
- One nation underground 2007
- * Ricky Swallow The Bricoleur
- * Ricky Swallow solo show at NGV Australia
- "Ozarts – Ricky Swallow". Ozarts. Archived from the original on 9 July 2007. Retrieved 18 September 2007.
|This article about an artist from Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about an Oceanian sculptor is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|