This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ricou Browning as the Gill-man
November 23, 1930|
Fort Pierce, Florida, USA
|Occupation||film director, actor, producer, screenwriter, underwater cinematographer, stuntman|
Ricou Browning (born November 23, 1930) is an American film director, actor, producer, screenwriter, underwater cinematographer and stuntman. He is best known for his underwater stunt work, playing the Gill-man in Creature from the Black Lagoon, Revenge of the Creature and The Creature Walks Among Us. Other actors portrayed the creature on land. He is also the only actor to have portrayed the creature more than once. He is the only surviving Gill-man actor, and the last surviving original Universal Monster.
Browning directed the underwater scenes in Thunderball (1966 Academy Award winner for special visual effects), underwater scenes in Caddyshack (1980) and coordinated marine stunts in an episode of Boardwalk Empire (2010). A Florida native, Browning was inducted into the Florida Artists Hall of Fame in 2012.
Browning started a career in water shows, moving on to produce shows. He moved into movies in 1954, playing the underwater role of the Gill-man in Creature from the Black Lagoon (while Ben Chapman played the monster on land), a feat he repeated in two sequels. He continued in movie production and joined Ivan Tors' studios in Florida, where he co-wrote and co-produced the 1963 MGM film Flipper (about an intelligent bottle-nosed dolphin) and continued writing for the subsequent Flipper television series that debuted in 1964. He directed the underwater sequences in Hello Down There (1969) and directed the family movie Salty (1973) and the cult film Mr. No Legs (1978). He also worked as second unit director, stunt coordinator and underwater sequence director on a number of features, including Island of the Lost (1967), Caddyshack (1980), Thunderball (1965) and Never Say Never Again (1983).
He has a son, Ricou Browning, Jr., who is a world renowned marine coordinator and an actor and stuntman.
- Creature from the Black Lagoon – Gill-man (in Water), 1954
- 20000 Leagues Under the Sea – Stunt Diver, 1954
- Revenge of the Creature – Gill-man (in Water), 1955
- The Creature Walks Among Us – Gill-man in Water), 1956
- Sea Hunt (TV Series) – Carlos, Ep:24 "Pressure Suit", 1958
- Flipper's New Adventure – Dr. Burton, 1964
- Flipper – Water Skier/The Monster, Ep:17 "Lifeguard", Ep:30 "Flipper's Monster", 1965
- The Horror Show (Documentary) – Archive Footage, 1979
- The Heavenly Kid – Stunts/Stunt Coordinator, 1985
- Opposing Force – Stunt Coordinator: Miami, 1986
- Behind the Scenes with Thunderball (Documentary) – Himself, 1995
- Back to the Black Lagoon: A Creature Chronicle (Documentary) – Himself, 2000
- The Witch's Dungeon: 40 Years of Chills (Documentary) – Himself, 2006
- Paws, Claws & Videotape (Documentary) – Himself, 2010
- Blob Town (Documentary) – Himself, 2010
- The Legend of Ivan Tors (Documentary) – Himself, 2011
- Ricou Browning Florida Artists Hall of Fame
- "Wet and Wild: Ricou Browning Will Always Be The Creature from the Black Lagoon". People.com. April 4, 1994. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Ricou Browning|