Ridge Township, Van Wert County, Ohio
|Ridge Township, Van Wert County, Ohio|
Much of Ridge Township is flat farmland
Location of Ridge Township (red) in Van Wert County, next to the city of Van Wert (yellow)
|• Total||36.4 sq mi (94.2 km2)|
|• Land||36.3 sq mi (93.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||787 ft (240 m)|
|• Density||85.9/sq mi (33.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087093|
Ridge Township is one of the twelve townships of Van Wert County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 3,114 people in the township, 1,311 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Hoaglin Township - north
- Jackson Township - northeast corner
- Washington Township - east
- Jennings Township - southeast corner
- York Township - south
- Liberty Township - southwest corner
- Pleasant Township - west
- Union Township - northwest corner
Ridge Township is one of only two county townships (the other being Pleasant Township) without a border on another county.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Van Wert County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.