Ridgewood Country Club
|Location||Paramus, New Jersey|
1929, 89 years ago|
1890, 128 years ago (club)
|West, Center, and East nines|
|Designed by||A. W. Tillinghast|
The Ridgewood Country Club (RCC) is a country club located in Paramus, New Jersey, a suburb northwest of New York City in Bergen County. It was founded in 1890 in neighboring Ridgewood, but has been at its current location since 1926. Its facilities were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2015.
The 27-hole golf course was designed by A. W. Tillinghast in 1929, and the clubhouse was designed by Clifford Wendehack. The greens are seeded with poa annua and bentgrass, and its fairways and tees are seeded with poa annua, bentgrass, and ryegrass. It was certified as an Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary in 1996. In the last 6 years, RCC has invested almost $8 million into the restoration of its golf course. Among the improvements have been the construction of 26 new tees, a new irrigation system, a new Greens and Grounds complex, an expansion of the pond on hole #1 on the Center nine, and the rebuilding of all the bunkers back to their original Tillinghast design. The three challenging and scenic nines are known as Center, West, and East, referring to their location relative to the clubhouse.
Golf legend Byron Nelson worked as an assistant professional at the club in the mid-1930s, early in his career, and represented Ridgewood for several of his early significant victories. Nelson went on to become one of golf's all-time greatest players.
- Men's Club Championship - Justin Niemeier
- Women's Club Championship - Colleen Edelman
- Junior Boys Club Championship - Prodigy Jack Edelman
- Husband Wife Tournament - The Amesburys'
- Upper Vs. Lower Tournament - Upper
- Ranked #73 Classical in U.S by Golfweek magazine - July 2005
- Ranked #83 in U.S. by Golf Magazine - 2009
- Hole #6 Center ranked among Top 500 Holes in the World by Golf Magazine - 2000
- Ranked #84 Most Prestigious Clubs in America by Golf Connoisseur magazine - Winter 2006
- Holes #4 West and #6 Center Ranked among Sports Illustrated "Tillinghast Dream 18" - June 2006
- 2018 The Northern Trust, first tournament of the FedEx Cup - Bryson DeChambeau
- 2014 The Barclays, first tournament of the FedEx Cup - Hunter Mahan
- 2010 The Barclays, first tournament of the FedEx Cup - Matt Kuchar
- 2008 The Barclays, first tournament of the FedEx Cup - Vijay Singh
- 2001 Senior PGA Championship - Tom Watson
- 1990 U.S. Senior Open - Lee Trevino
- 1981 Coca-Cola Classic - Kathy Whitworth
- 1974 U.S. Amateur Championship - Jerry Pate
- 1957 U.S. Senior Amateur - J. Clark Espie
- 1935 Ryder Cup - United States
- "Weekly list of actions taken on properties: 5/26/15 through 5/29/15". National Park Service. June 5, 2015. Retrieved 2015-09-19.
- Gettin' to the Dance Floor: An Oral History of American Golf, by Al Barkow, 1985
|This golf club or course-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a sports venue in New Jersey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|