Rıfat Özbek (Turkish: Rıfat Özbek, pronounced [ɾɯˈfat ˈøzbek]; born in 1953 in Istanbul, Turkey) is a Turkish-born fashion designer, known for his exotic, ethnically-inspired outfits. He was named British Designer of the Year in 1988 and 1992.
Özbek was born in Istanbul, Turkey and grew up in a yali on the Bosphorus. He moved to London in the 1970s and lived in his parents flat in Belgravia whilst he was studying architecture and then fashion at Saint Martin's School of Art. After graduating in 1976, Özbek went to Italy where he designed clothes for Monsoon. In 1984 he established his own company and then began to show his yearly collections in Milan and New York, and more recently, in Paris. By 1995, Özbek had launched his own perfume called "Ozbek", and later a second perfume called "Ozbek 1001". In 2010, Özbek launched a new business called "Yastik" which means "pillow" in Turkish. Özbek was an interior designer for Robin Birley's new nightclub, Rupert's, which opened in 2011. He lives between London, Istanbul and Bodrum, where he resides with his partner Erdal Karaman.
- 1986: Woman Magazine Designer Award
- 1988: British Designer of the Year
- 1989: British Glamour Award
- 1992: British Designer of the Year
- Seeling, Charlotte (2000). Fashion: the century of the designer 1900-1999. Könemann. p. 471. ISBN 978-3-8290-2980-3.
- Vogue. "Pollini-Rıfat Özbek". Retrieved 08-06-2011. Check date values in:
- British Fashion Awards. "BRITISH FASHION AWARDS – FACTS & FIGURES" (PDF). Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- The Telegraph (26 January 2009). "Rıfat Özbek's Turkish house: Aegean genie". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- IPD Fragrances. "Rıfat Özbek". Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- The Telegraph (8 December 2010). "Rıfat Özbek returns with new textiles range". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- Vogue. "Need It Now: Rifat Özbek’s “Yastik” Cushions". Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- Pelly, Sam. "New club openings: London March 2011". High Life. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
|This Turkish biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to fashion is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|