|Industry||Software as a service|
Thorsten von Eicken
|Headquarters||Santa Barbara, California|
|Michael Crandell, CEO|
Raphael Simon, CTO
Steve Morrison, CFO
Josh Fraser, SVP Sales & Business Development
Kim Weins, VP Marketing and Cloud Cost Strategy
Bailey Caldwell, VP Customer Success
Ryan Williamson, VP Engineering
Ryan O'Leary, VP Product
|Products||RightScale Cloud Management Platform (CMP), RightScale Optima|
Jonathan Siegel (then sole owner of ELC Technologies, LLC) and Thorsten von Eicken cofounded RightScale, originally as AWS-Console.com. AWS-Console launched 12/31/2006 in a screencast posted by Siegel to the Ruby on Rails mailing group. On March 26, 2007, Amazon Web Services contacted AWS-Console and gave notice of potential infringement of their trademark on AWS. AWS-Console was relaunched as RightScale at RailsConf on March 17, 2007 and further promoted at OReilly Etech on March 27, 2007 as a joint venture between ELC Technologies and Thorsten von Eicken. Siegel sold his shares in RightScale on December 15, 2009.
Thorsten von Eicken, a former professor of computer science at Cornell University, left to manage systems architecture for Expertcity, the startup company that became Citrix Online. Jonathan Siegel and Thorsten von Eicken were joined by RightScale CEO Michael Crandell and RightScale Vice President of Engineering, Rafael Saavedra.
On July 18, 2012, RightScale announced its acquisition of the Scotland-based PlanForCloud.com (formerly ShopForCloud.com), which provides a free cloud cost forecasting service.
RightScale introduced the Cloud Maturity Model with the release of its second annual State of the Cloud Report on April 25, 2013. The report findings are based on a RightScale survey of 625 IT decision makers and categorized according to the Cloud Maturity Model, which is an analysis and segmentation of companies based on their varying degrees of cloud adoption.
The company raised $15.6 million in February 2013.
On April 15, 2013, RightScale announced that it would provide enterprise support for Windows Azure in conjunction with the Microsoft announcement of its general availability release of Windows Azure Infrastructure Services.
- "RightScale Makes Multiple Clouds Work". Gigaom.com. 2008-09-17. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- "RightScale public profile".
- "ELC Technologies Acquired By Pourzanjani, Rahmat". Socal Tech. Retrieved October 12, 2010.
- "RightScale Terms of Service".
- "RightScale Web Archive". Web Archive Org.
- "RightScale co-founder Siegel Sells Exceptional.io To Rackspace". Socal Tech. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- "Amazon Launches EC2 Console". Flexera. Retrieved January 9, 2009.
- Greathouse, John. "Interview: Thorsten von Eicken of RightScale". Infochachkie.com. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- "How to Ensure Business Continuity in the Cloud". Gigaom.com. 2011-05-29. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- "9 More Cloud Computing Pioneers". Informationweek.com. 2013-03-19. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- Mary Hayes Weier (2008-04-24). "Cloud Computing Startup Gets $4.5M Venture Funding". Informationweek.com. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- "Cloud Expo: RightScale adds RackSpace, Eucalyptus to its hybrid clouds". Betanews.com. 2013-06-20. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- "Cloud Management Platform RightScale Raises $25 Million". Techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- "RightScale acquires PlanForCloud - press release". Rightscale.com. 2012-07-18. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- King, Rachel (2013-04-25). "RightScale survey points toward preference for 'multi-cloud' deployments". Zdnet.com. Retrieved 2013-06-27.
- "Series D - RightScale - 2013-02-12 | Crunchbase". Crunchbase. Retrieved 2018-03-09.
- MSV, Janakiram. "Flexera Acquires RightScale - The Multi-Cloud Management Platform Company". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- RightScale, Rackspace Expand Cloud Partnership
- "Exclusive: RightScale Is First to Resell, Support Google Compute Engine". Gigaom.com. February 16, 2013.
- "RightScale Supports Windows Azure Infrastructure Services General Availability - press release". Finance.yahoo.com. April 13, 2013.
- Woods, Dan. "Disaster-Proofing The Cloud — Forbes.com". www.forbes.com. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- Fitzgerald, Michael. "Technology: When the Forecast Calls for Clouds — Is cloud computing right for your company?". www.inc.com. Retrieved 2009-01-10.
- Wainewright, Phil. "RightScale makes EC2 a better fit for SaaS". ZDNet. Retrieved 2007-11-20.
- Howlett, Dennis. "RightScale cloud management extends to MySQL". ZDNet | Enterprise Alley. Retrieved 2008-06-28.
- Cogswell, Jeff. "Page 2 - RightScale Eases Developing on Amazon EC2". www.eweek.com. Retrieved 2008-10-21.
- Babcock, Charles. "RightScale Launches App Store For Infrastructure". www.informationweek.com. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- Babcock, Charles. "9 More Cloud Computing Pioneers". www.informationweek.com. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- Darrow, Barb. "Exclusive: RightScale Is First to Resell, Support Google Compute Engine". www.gigaom.com. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- "RightScale Supports Windows Azure Infrastructure Services General Availability". finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2013-04-16.
- Butler, Brandon. "RightScale joins OpenStack, supports Rackspace's open cloud". www.networkworld.com. Retrieved 2012-11-05.
- Verge, Jason. "RightScale, Rackspace Expand Cloud Partnership". www.datacenterknowledge.com. Retrieved 2012-11-05.
- Talbot, Chris. "RightScale to Support Windows Azure Infrastructure Services". www.talkincloud.com. Retrieved 2013-04-18.
- "RightScale Announces Integration With Google Compute Engine". finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-06-28.