Right Here, Right Now (Fatboy Slim song)
|"Right Here, Right Now"|
|Single by Fatboy Slim|
|from the album You've Come a Long Way, Baby|
|Released||19 April 1999|
|Fatboy Slim singles chronology|
"Right Here, Right Now" is a song by British big beat musician Fatboy Slim, released on 19 April 1999 as the fourth single from his second studio album You've Come a Long Way, Baby. The song reached number two on the UK Singles Chart, behind Westlife's single "Swear It Again" for one week. It was voted by Mixmag readers as the tenth-greatest dance record of all time.
The song has been remade by a Britsh DJ producer, ATFC, with collaboration with OnePhatDeeva in a hit-single that reached up to #11 in the UK single charts, "In and Out of my Life" with additional vocals by Adeva.
The basic string melody of the song was sampled from the James Gang song "Ashes, the Rain & I". The lyrics "right here, right now" are a sample of Angela Bassett's voice saying "This is your life, right here, right now!" from the film Strange Days at the 1:43:21 mark. The album version of Right Here, Right Now ends with a radio talk between Bradley Jay, a DJ of the WBCN radio station of Boston, and a Fatboy Slim fan called Brad.
The music video, created by Hammer & Tongs, shows a non scientifically accurate timeline depicting the process of biological evolution condensed into three and a half minutes. The beginning of the music video is set "350 billion years ago", and starts with a single celled eukaryote in the ocean evolving into a jellyfish, a pufferfish, and then a predatory fish. It manages to eat a smaller fish before leaping up onto dry land. With a dinosaur visible in the background and an insect in front, it stays still for a few seconds before setting off and eating the insect. The land-fish evolves into a small alligator as it enters a forest. It sees a tall tree, which it climbs up. Its hands are visibly evolving until it arrives at the top as a homo erectus-like ape. It jumps from the tree into an icy landscape, enduring a blizzard as it evolves into a larger, gorilla-like ape. At the end of a large cliff, the ape beats its chest as the camera zooms out to show a vast desert. The ape jumps onto the ground, where it has evolved into a primate resembling an orangutan. A large storm blows away much of its hair, turning it into a human (at this point the timer at the bottom right slows dramatically). The human runs faster and puts on some trousers and a T-shirt with the logo "I'm #1 so why try harder". When fully clothed, it turns into a modern human with a beard. The man walks through a city environment and eats a hamburger (taken from a cardboard cutout of Fatboy Slim himself), he pulls off the beard and morphs into the obese character depicted on the cover of the album. He finally sits down on a bench at night, at which point the video ends.
- "Right Here, Right Now"
- "Don't Forget Your Teeth"
- "Praise You" (original version)
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||5|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||37|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||47|
|Italy (Hit Parade Italia)||22|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||56|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||25|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||3|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||2|
|UK Dance (Official Charts Company)||2|
|UK Indie (Official Charts Company)||1|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||400,000|
sales+streaming figures based on certification alone
- What is the Greatest Dance Track of All Time? Mixmag (15 February 2013).
- "Strange Days movie". Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- "Australian-charts.com – Fatboy Slim – Right Here, Right Now". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Fatboy Slim – Right Here, Right Now" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Fatboy Slim – Right Here, Right Now" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Lescharts.com – Fatboy Slim – Right Here, Right Now" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Fatboy Slim – Right Here, Right Now". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Right Here Right Now". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "Hit Parade Italia - Indice per Interprete: F". Hit Parade Italia. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Fatboy Slim – Right Here, Right Now" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.nz – Fatboy Slim – Right Here, Right Now". Top 40 Singles.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Fatboy Slim – Right Here, Right Now". Singles Top 100.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official Dance Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "Official Independent Singles Chart Top 50". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "British single certifications – Fatboy Slim – Right Here Right Now". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 9 November 2018. Select singles in the Format field. Select Gold in the Certification field. Type Right Here Right Now in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.