Right Here Waiting
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Right Here Waiting"|
|Single by Richard Marx|
|from the album Repeat Offender|
|B-side||"Wait for the Sunrise"|
|Released||June 29, 1989|
|Recorded||December 11, 1988|
|Studio||Magic Record, Salt Lake City, Utah|
|Richard Marx singles chronology|
"Right Here Waiting" is a song by American singer and songwriter Richard Marx. It was released on June 29, 1989, as the second single from his second album, Repeat Offender. The song was a global hit, topping charts throughout the world, including the U.S. where it reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100. It was certified Platinum by the RIAA. The song has been covered by many artists, including Monica for her album The Boy Is Mine.
Background and writing
"Right Here Waiting" was the second single from Repeat Offender, after "Satisfied". Marx wrote the song on the road as a love letter to his wife, the actress Cynthia Rhodes, who was in South Africa shooting on a film. The track was arranged by Marx with Jeffery (C.J.) Vanston to feature none of the heavy drums and synthesizers popular at the time, with Marx's vocal accompanied only by classical guitar (by Bruce Gaitsch) and keyboards (by Vanston). It is one of Marx's most frequently covered compositions.
"Right Here Waiting" entered the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart at number 44 in the week of July 8, 1989, and became Marx's third consecutive number one single on August 12, 1989. Certified Gold on August 21, the record spent three consecutive weeks at number one, replaced by Paula Abdul's "Cold Hearted" in the week of September 2, 1989. The song was Marx's first of several to go to number one on the Hot Adult Contemporary Chart. Certified Platinum on October 16, 1989, "Right Here Waiting" is Marx's best selling single. It is also his most enduring, charting in the top 15 of Billboard's Hot Adult Contemporary Recurrents chart for four years running, from 2000 to 2003, more than ten years after its release. The song also reached #1 on the Radio & Records CHR/Pop Airplay chart on August 4, 1989 staying on the top of the chart for three weeks and remained on the chart for thirteen weeks.
In the United Kingdom, the song was released in September 1989 and peaked at #2,where he was able to interrupt the Italian house song "Ride on Time" by the Italian group "Black Box", which was in first place for six uninterrupted weeks.
The video for this song was directed by Jim Yukich, and filmed on the road during Marx's 1989 Repeat Offender Tour. It features various black-and-white tour footage interspersed with color scenes of Marx playing the song to a dead auditorium on an empty stage with a grand piano. Contrary to popular belief, due to Marx's hectic touring schedule, very little time was available to produce a video for this single, so various tour footage was compiled to make an official video for the track.
Charts and sales
This section does not cite any sources. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Right Here Waiting"|
|Single by Monica featuring 112|
|from the album The Boy is Mine|
|Released||December 14, 1999(R&B radio)|
|Songwriter(s)||Richard Marx, Bruce Gaitsch|
|Monica singles chronology|
"Right Here Waiting" was covered by American R&B singer Monica. It was released only in the United States in December 1999 as the seventh and final single from her second studio album, The Boy Is Mine, and features the R&B group 112. No music video was made for the song.
|US Billboard Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles||1|
- Jon O'Brien (November 1, 2010). "Stories to Tell - Richard Marx". AllMusic. Retrieved June 23, 2014.
- Billboard Allmusic.com (Retrieved September 8, 2008)
- U.S. certifications riaa.com (Retrieved September 8, 2008)
- "Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx Songfacts".
- "Right here waiting".
- "Right Here Waiting", UK Singles Chart Chartstats.com (Retrieved September 8, 2008)
- "Australian-charts.com – Richard Marx – Right Here Waiting". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Richard Marx – Right Here Waiting" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Richard Marx – Right Here Waiting" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- [Nanda Lwin (1999). Top 40 Hits: The Essential Chart Guide. Music Data Canada. ISBN 1-896594-13-1.
- "Lescharts.com – Richard Marx – Right Here Waiting" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Richard Marx Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- Irish Single Chart Irishcharts.ie Archived 2009-06-03 at WebCite (Retrieved February 15, 2008)
- "Hit Parade Italia - Indice per Interprete: M".
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Richard Marx" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.nz – Richard Marx – Right Here Waiting". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Richard Marx – Right Here Waiting". VG-lista.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Richard Marx – Right Here Waiting". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Richard Marx – Right Here Waiting". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Richard Marx: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- "Richard Marx Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- "Richard Marx Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- "Richard Marx".
- "Richard Marx chart history for Adult Contemporary Recurrents". Billboard. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- 1989 Australian Singles Chart aria.com Archived June 11, 2011, at the Wayback Machine (Retrieved September 8, 2008)
- "Top Singles - Volume 51, No. 8, December 23, 1989". RPM. December 23, 1999. Archived from the original on September 7, 2017. Retrieved November 22, 2017.
- Official New Zealand Music Charts - End Of Year Chart 1989
- "Year-End Charts '89 – Top 100 Singles". Music Week. London, England: Spotlight Publications. 3 March 1990. p. 16.
- Canada certifications cria.ca Archived May 1, 2010, at the Wayback Machine (Retrieved September 8, 2008)
- UK certifications Bpi.co.uk (Retrieved September 8, 2008)